1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No news on Obama's win

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Nov 6, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Then why not get a man-on-the street reaction about Obama winning or something? Localizing a presidential election shouldn't be that difficult.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'd think, everywhere, there's at least an interest in seeing how the county/state numbers come out in the presidential election. I'm assuming local results are covered, and its the same poor, sleepless peons at the county counting all the votes. Anyone anywhere can hack out a localized piece on deadline.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but first you have to accept that your guy got beat.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where do you draw the line, especially when school board race got a lot of attention? How far should we localize stories when we didn't cover the campaign? In my paper's situation, when we have run national or state stuff, readers get mad since they subscribe to the big city paper too and don't pay for my paper just to get duplicate coverage.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

In 1980 I had just started at my first paper, in Texas.

It was a PM not too far from Houston.

When Lennon was murdered, the story went inside. One redneck made that call. He was a fucking idiot that day. Still is, no doubt.

This is so much worse.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I guess you could localize it and go see what your town's folks think about the election results (assuming you are an afternoon).

If you are an AM and it would be tough to localize, well, I still think you go with the huge national news, because it is huge news. I'm guessing not all of your readers get the big city daily.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

A paper I know outside of Chicago just teased Obama's election at the top of the page ... No story on the front page, no big picture.

I don't think this was about race. It was about "local, local, local" ... except I bet it would be nice to get a record day for rack sales or the biggest day in decades.

I understand the push for local, but you have to know when to bend and break the rules. This was one of those times. At the very least, have a localized story as others have suggested.

The Terrell Tribune and this paper made really bad business (and suspect editorial) decisions, plain and simple, at a time when papers need money desperately.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Twice-weekly with an 11 a.m. deadline. Reporters paginate. Local races weren't in until midnight. I have to apologize by saying we included the result as part of a graphic on the front.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

There's a difference between daily and weekly obviously. I should have mentioned that earlier ... The paper outside of Chicago is a daily. That's no excuse.

10. 1000questions

1000questions New Member

Old SNL skit. Smalltown paper editorial board meeting the day after Pearl Harbor is attacked. "It's rainin' bombs in Pearl Harbor!"

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Here's another one. A paper in Oklahoma had nothing as well.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/11/10/dnt.ok.no.obama.newspaper.kjrh

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

at least the oklahoma publisher didn't hide and issue a pansy-ass statement

Draft saved Draft deleted