1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No news on Obama's win

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Nov 6, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

So Belo's WFAA in Dallas has probably discovered the only daily newspaper around that didn't mention Obama's presidential victory and it's my old rag. While I find it sad that the publisher continues to tear down what I helped build and can't believe (actually, it doesn't surprise me that much) they didn't have anything at all on the front page, is it WFAA's place to step into this?

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa081106_mo_terrell.188ec9cfc.html

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seems pretty ridiculous it wasn't on the front page, especially considering they ran a McCain piece main the day before.

In their defense, the election wasn't called until 10 p.m. CDT and Obama didn't speak until about 11 p.m. CDT, so maybe because of their deadlines they couldn't get it on the front page?

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

"We run a newspaper, not a memory book service," he said.

He's going to be running a fucking check out line at Ralph's soon if he is that out of touch.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

<blockquote> The Terrell Tribune's publisher, Bill Jordan, declined an on-camera interview.
    "We run a newspaper, not a memory book service," he said. "We covered the local commissioner's race. We thought that was more important." </blockquote>
    Hyperlocal or something else? Sheer stupidity?

5. txsportsscribe

it's an afternoon paper that doesn't go to press until at least noon for that day's issue.

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

what a piece of shit paper. honestly, the worst.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

What's the circ of that rag? 5K or less?

8. txsportsscribe

depends on who you ask but it's down to less than 3k last i saw.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wow.

We went to a great deal of trouble to get two locally written 9-11 stories into the 2.5K weekly I was briefly exiled to in 2001. And then got at least one call from somebody who was "disappointed you didn't have more" on the story.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I feel bad for my buddy who is an editor at a three-times weekly suburban paper in a major market. His deadline on election day was early afternoon for Wednesday's paper.

He's catching all kinds of shit for not having Obama on front, but what was he to do?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doesn't Terrell have a good-sized African-American population? Seems the first AA president would be important to those readers.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

does old tony work there?

Draft saved Draft deleted