1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No National Signing Day thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 3, 2010.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I got a great shot of three people sitting at a table, looking at a piece of paper smiling. I'm thinking of entering it in a contest.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you get him making a gesture with the pen, a la Dennis Miller on SNL, then you'll win a Pulitzer. :D

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Freaking Community College "signees".

I'm not kidding.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

We had new daily start in town about 18 months and went to EVERY signing day for a story and photo, DIII, NAIA, JUCO, every single one.
    We caught flak for not going, so we got roped into going to compete.
    Start-up folds a few months later, but because of precedence, we still go to them all. Even the one at 8 a.m. today an hour from where I live.

5. bwright

bwright Member

My community had two kids sign LOIs. A ton of good athletes, but only 2 with the grades/scores to go to college. It made me sad.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Five total signings today, ranging from DI to a couple of HBC schools, to a couple of JUCOs. Luckily we just have one school, so our coach gets them all to show up at school at 9 a.m. and we do it all at once.

We also had a preferred walk-on at North Carolina, but he doesn't get a photo until he officially gets his scholly.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody tell the knuckleheads at that daily that there is no LOI at the Division III level?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There is no worse of a waste of space than a photo of a kid signing a freaking piece of paper.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll give you that 'Amen' you're looking for.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

We did photo, story, video for all the D-I football kids. Put the rest in a roundup where I put all the photos we were sent from all the lower division signings, soccer, and everyone else that signed. Not looking forward to checking my messages, but I sent out a disclaimer e-mail to all 30 ADs about 10 days ago letting them know that if they had signees to send pictures and info. Hardly anyone outside of the schools with DI football kids responded so IMO it's on the ADs at that point.

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

We run them all, even juco, but as with another poster, we're in a small area that doesn't send that many kids anywhere. That said, the photos go inside except in very rare instances.

Did a signing day column a few years ago on a kid that went to Purdue, had an OK career but most important, got his degree and was making $90,000 annually right out of school. That's the true measure of signing day (and I know this isn't an original idea).

Two other things:

1. Damned inconsiderate of the NFL to let Super Bowl week interfere with signing day.

2. Whatever happened to Arthur McDuffy?

12. The No. 1 reason I left sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted