1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No-Names Campaign"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Speaking of civility in politics, an interesting look at the unfolding campaign relationship between the White House and Jon Huntsman:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56575.html

I like this guy...

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He'll have a lot more trouble from other GOP candidates than from Obama on that score. Palin and Bachmann, for two, have an evangelical zeal that will have some rough edges.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Huntsman is in an interesting spot. Seems like a quality pol - yet he probably isn't interested in a Senate seat (and he might be too liberal for Utah), doesn't have a shot at a veep slot if Romney gets the nomination, and is in kind of a political no-man's land. Maybe he's trying to build up some cred for a Senate run in Florida (where he is headquartering his presidential run)?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He served as an ambassador under Obama, so there'll be a "sleeping with the enemy" thing going against him among some in the GOP. And he's not conversative enough to win the nomination, in a party in which Hatch's conversative credentials are questioned.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm surprised Huntsman didn't sit out 2012 like so many of the other "adults" in the Republican room. I don't think he can win the nomination, but maybe he's laying some groundwork for 2016 (or, as stated above, for a run at the Senate).

I like the guy. I hope the primaries don't do him irrevocable political damage, as I don't see anyone coming out of the present Republican field in very good shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted