1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No MTV VMAs Awards Thread??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Sep 13, 2009.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Forgive if it's a DB..

Janet Jackson sounded like Bob Dylan.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm DVRing it.

That may be the saddest thing I've ever typ...oh who am I kidding?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How can MTV have a video music awards show? Shouldn't it be the pseudo reality TV awards?

You'll see more music videos during a day of watching ESPN/ABC college football than on MTV.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I promise, I won't try to spoil everyone's fun like I did last year, but before I leave, what was The Thing That Everyone Will Be Talking About Tomorrow this year?

5. imjustagirl

Uh, it's only been on for 45 minutes.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

OK. Maybe I'll watch so I won't feel left out of any conversations tomorrow.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Now's as good a time as any to float my theory that MTV, rather than being the unwitting butt of "ha ha they call themselves music television and they don't play videos!" jokes that have replaced airline food as our generation's low-hanging zingers, may have shown an underrated savvy by phasing out videos.

Put simply: if MTV showed videos 24-7, brought back Adam Curry from whatever DJ company he's working for in between shifts at Budget Barney's Buick Barn to revive the Top 20 Video Countdown and got back to their roots, would we dutifully wait for our favorite video like we did in the 80s? Or would we just look it up on YouTube and watch it right then?

MTV may well have realized that playing mostly videos wasn't going to fly in a world where broadband internet is pretty common, so they changed their focus to remain relevant. See also: Western Union, which transitioned from telegraphs to money wiring. Do NOT see also: newspapers.

8. imjustagirl

According to the link I just saw: it will be Kanye cutting off Taylor Swift to be an asshole.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Well, it wouldn't be the VMAs if Kanye West didn't act like an asshole.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think you're giving MTV waaaaaaaay too much credit.

I figure it was cheaper to produce pseudo-reality shows that drew the same number of viewers, rather than paying licensing fees to air videos.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's a good thing.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That certainly didn't hurt, but if there was a market for videos on basic cable, they'd be crazy to give up their obvious market advantage of their own volition, even with the fees. But in the last 10 years, video on demand and the internet has made the MTV we knew an anachronism.

Draft saved Draft deleted