1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more Sony cassette Walkmans....er Walkmen....players

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 24, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, my Dad bought one last year. He likes listening to the radio when he reads at night. He'd had the same Walkman for YEARS--I'm talking six or eight years at least--before it finally went. I may buy one and store it for him in case his new-ish one goes, because I've got a better shot of winning the Pulitzer than he does of upgrading to satellite radio and an iPod.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

For a Walkman to last that long is incredible. I always figured Sony built in that "Oh shit" factor that would make the batteries and tape pop out and scatter as soon as it hit the floor.

I actually had better luck with Aiwa machines that always seemed to have lower prices.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a Sony Sports (the yellow one) Walkman that I got in 1984. I used to ski with it. Once I dropped it off a ski lift and it hit the pole before landing on a rock. When I went down to get it, it was still playing. It still works, although I don't think I've used it in about a decade.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a Jordache-brand one with cassette and AM/FM.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Remember when DAT was going to be the big technology breakthrough?

WTF ever happened to DAT?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. My 2004 Toyota Highlander has a CD/cassette player in it, but I haven't noticed the cassette part in years. I haven't had a cassette player in my apartment since 2005 at the earliest.

8. The world has moved on.

It is ka.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 Frontier (10 years old and only 71k miles) and it has a cassette player.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Key is he never listens to tapes. Only uses the radio. Also, he treats it very carefully. It's only in his lap. He doesn't go anywhere with it.

That said, even with his careful maintenance, the thing looked a million years old. Layer upon layer of tape was on the battery back and the headphones were tattered. But he doesn't like to buy anything new, and it was something my Mom bought for him, so I think he really wanted to hang on to this one. That's why I was so relieved when my sister was able to find him a new one.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I got my first Walkman for my 12th birthday in '82. An older relative said to make sure I got one with "metal tape capability." So I did -- cost extra. But I never encountered an actual metal tape unless you count Iron Maiden's "Piece of Mind" or Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance."

Draft saved Draft deleted