1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more reader comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Oct 15, 2009.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Bad week for Ben Dover, I see. How's his cousin, Heywood Jablome, doing?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Actually, that family is related to the Mike Oxsmall clan. Seriously, he alternates between Ben and Mike.

=====

I forgot to mention the other downside to moderating the "report abuse" comments: I actually have to read them. So my work day is peppered with chunks of the most vile, racist, sexist, xenophobic, etc. prose on the web. There are days all that negativity just weighs on you.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. Or have them register a credit card, then charge them a dime for every comment. But get something off your already-free product. You know that most of the people who make comments solely looking for trouble aren't subscribers.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

And they would pay.

I'd bet my own cold, hard cash that these fucktards would pay.

There are people who get into the commenting "community" very seriously. They usually aren't the trolls, though they can be trollish at times, and are prone to rabid flamewars with their fellow comment-dwellers. There are people who pay for special message board perks. I suspect the same would apply.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've always been a proponent of Something Awful-style pay structures (one flat fee gets you in, then you pay one-time fees for perks). Screw up, you have to pay again.

This, I think, is the rub: get people to pay for things on top of the main product. Charging for the main product will do more harm than good.

Draft saved Draft deleted