1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more photo pages

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Apr 30, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

A directive from on high in our company --- apparently, they are deemed a waste of space (sometimes they are, I'll admit) and as such we should tighten up our sections instead of running them, pushing photo "essays" to the Web ... so says the big boss...
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Strange edict; big art well played is an edge papers have over the Net.
  3. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Pretty soon we'll have business listings on 1A.

"Why not? These companies buy ads! Those photos just clutter up the stories anyway."
  4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

My shop wants more photos and less words. Go figure.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Meanwhile The Plain Dealer has recently taken to running a page a week of HS sports photos submitted by readers. Which shows that none of these "edicts" is based on anything other than someone's whim.
  6. fremont

fremont Member

That's usually how it works...."whims" have helped destroy this business.
  7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This thread illustrates why I'm pumped for my Thursday meeting at a university I plan on attending in September. I'm 30-plus, going back to school and getting the fuck out.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. I'm not much for online photo essays when I'm on my smallish laptop screen.

I bet the photographers just love that edict too.
  9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There is a place for photo pages in my world.

And, having heard it, I love the idea about reader-submitted photos – assuming they aren't all just pix of youth teams lined up. Are they candids or just grip-and-grins?
  10. fremont

fremont Member

For that matter, back in the day I built whole pages of nothing but grip-n-grin and cutlines. Lots of local names and the publlisher loved this. Sometimes I wondered whether he really wanted to be in the phone book business.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And what's wrong with those pages? Those were in every paper I worked for, from small-town dailies to bureau editions of major metros. Wildly popular, especially for the scrapbookers. Might sound dumb to cater to those readers, but that's the point -- they read. And buy the thing. Maybe even multiple copies.
  12. fremont

fremont Member

Nothing's wrong with them, unless they're crappy photos that can't be made to look good on newsprint. And I did get more than a few of those....
Draft saved Draft deleted