1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no more nfl within 30 years?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 28, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have to say, the proposed replacement for the kickoff is kind of intriguing. As I recall, the kicking team would instead get possession of the ball, 4th and 10 on their own 35. They can go for it or they can punt, and the injury risk from a punt is much less than that of a kickoff.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Safer helmets will do for the game what assault weapon ban will do murder rates .... little.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't even imagine how that would work.

So you could score a touchdown and then go for it from your 35?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This is a good concept, but the "risk" would have to be much greater for the team that just scored if they want to equate it to the chances of a successful onside kick.

Maybe something like 4th and 20.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah ... so if the Packers are trailing by 21 at the start of the fourth quarter, they could come back without ever giving the other team a chance to touch the ball.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I see the argument for parents taking their kids out of football, but then I turn on the XGames. How does this even exist?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. (I think it was the 35, but I could have the yard line incorrect.)

In reality, coaches would punt almost all of the time, with a result that is similar to a kickoff without the danger level. If they decide to go for it the odds of success would likely be a lot higher than an onside kick, but still poor enough to make it rare.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Does anybody need tobacco products?

Banning tobacco products WOULD save many lives, so don't we have to consider it?

9. Boom_70

The high point for me of the NBA / college basketball combo was 1985 - Villanova / Georgetown Final - Lakers / Celtics NBA final

10. Boom_70

I would like to see The NFL develop safer urinals. The existing ones have a lot of backspray.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It seems like a lot of the CTE issues come from accumulations of smaller hits over a career than the actual gameday impacts (although those are still dangerous in their own right). If football wants to move forward with less worries about what the game is doing to brains, it needs to start by addressing the problem early in players' careers and doing what it can to lower the over all number of hits a player can be exposed to over a career.

For instance:
    -No Pop Warner or peewee tackle football. Those kids can play flag football. A limited schedule of tackle football implemented in junior high, say like a six game season with games once every two weeks to allow for recovery. No contact in practices.
    -High school football teams should never play more games than college teams. Cap those seasons at 11 or 12 games, playoff systems for determining state champs be damned. Severe limits on contact practices too. Ban on all high school spring practices.
    -No spring contact drills in college. No spring scrimmages. Contact practices eliminated except for a bye week in which you may have one.
    -A ban on all exhibition games (those include the Pro Bowl, Senior Bowls and various high school all-star games). These are not needed and open players up to unnecessary risks.

12. Boom_70

Who is going to dictate that ? The NFL?

That is one of flaws in player law suits. How do you prove that the NFL is responsible when most of the players also played at youth/ H.S. / College prior to playing in The NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted