1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more daily newspaper delivered for me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I still get the paper and would continue to if I changed jobs. When I travel, I pick up copies of the local paper too.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Exactly. I read about a dozen papers online for work every morning, and it's rare that I happen just upon articles. Now granted, when I'm reading for work, I'm looking for specific kinds of news, but still. I much prefer the experience of the hard copy newspaper.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Even though I agree, I still gave up the paper version. Because the content has been reduced by half in the last 20 years, it still takes the same time it used to.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I get a Sunday paper for the coupons and the paywall access so I can read online the rest of the week.

I tried delivering for money a few months ago, and it just wasn't worth the effort. I was driving a few square miles to deliver barely 100 papers. Multiple streets with only a single stop. I was going to lose half my pay on gas money because the route was too big to walk, not that I can walk unassisted anyway.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You read something like this and you wonder why everyone was in an uproar when The Plain Dealer stopped everyday delivery.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've been feeling guilty because I've been avoiding my friend Juan, the newspaper guy, at the train station for the past two years, ever since since getting an iPad. Then, when I do see Juan, I always buy a paper that I don't really want.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Used to read the daily paper every day. Would read the sports section of the Free Press before school. Would sometimes check out the news too since it was the only one published on Sunday and my grandma also got it daily. In college, it switched up, I could only get the Free Press in certain dining halls so I would check it out online. Instead, I read the Lansing State Journal (local paper) and State News (college paper). But as I ended up working for those publications, the papers became free. I no longer needed them in the morning or sought them out. After college I never subscribed to the paper. It's been 6 years and I've gone completely with the online versions if needed.

Most the time I get my information from niche sites. Sports scores from ESPN or Yahoo, college football analysis from certain blogs and so on. Most of the impulse reading comes from links on Twitter so I'm more likely to read something from someone else than my local paper. I think I get a more interesting mix of stories this way. Like it better than before.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sunday 40%-50% off coupons from A.C. Moore, Michaels and Hobby Lobby more than make up for the $2.36 my printed subscription costs each week.

There was a Lowe's Foods grocery insert in today's paper (with coupons in addition to the weekly specials) that will save me about $7 on my next trip there.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The savings in dog food coupons allows me to pay for the Sunday paper and online access. Working journalists should thank Purina.

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

We cancelled the subscription about a year ago. Didn't want to it, but the weekend delivery was inconsistent. I can handle not getting the paper during the week - we're on the way to work / school, just credit us for another day. But the weekend? So, so frustrating. We dealt with it off and on for awhile, but then we had a stretch of about 6-8 weeks, and just said screw it.

We got a call from customer support 8 months later.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wish I could get more than one paper delivered every day. Still an amazing feeling to walk out in the yard, pick up a disposable item, and know that it will inform and entertain me for a very reasonable price. And after, I can even use it to wash my windows and leave them streak-free!

Clutter? WTF? You ever hear of a trash can/recycling bin? You live in a shoe?

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The smaller size of the modern newspaper means I can take more issues straight from front porch to recycle bin before I have to put the recycle bin out.

Draft saved Draft deleted