1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more daily newspaper delivered for me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Sep 25, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I grew up reading the Star Ledger and NY Times which were delivered every morning and the NY Daily News and NY Post which my father brought home ever evening.I'd bring the newspaper to highschool and read the paper and drink coffee in homeroom.

My first paying job was putting together the Sunday Star Ledger, NY Times, Daily News (Comics in front) and NY Post for the local store before sunrise on Sunday mornings.

When in the Washington DC area I read the Washington Post and Times which were delivered every morning, and even the Washington Star in the afternoons.

In college we got a great discount on the Wall Street Journal which I got delivered to my dorm in the mail every weekday. Always read The Diamondback in the dining hall and I'd buy the Star in the late afternoon in College Park.

As an adult I've always had newspapers delivered to the house, the Post for the last 27 years and at various times The New York Times, The Baltimore Sun, The News American, and The Evening Sun. Even on vacations I'd have to have a morning newspaper.

I've had my ipad for about a year now. I pay for a digital subscription to the Times and had the Washington Post delivered everyday, until today. Except I also get the Post on the ipad. Every affternoon I've picked up the morning paper with the mail and threw it away, having read the digital version. I cancelled the daily paper yesterday. I will still get the Sunday Paper because it comes with a digital version and at $8.90 every 8 weeks it sounds like a deal. coupons ;)

A perfect morning used to be sitting outside with coffee, cigarettes and a newspaper. Now I do it with the ipad. I haven't lost anything.

I'm not the last newspaper reader but when I drop the paper its like the last guy on the block who stopped riding his horse into town and now I have a Model T.

I'll pay for digital news like the Post and Times but the paper version is gone.

Sorry folks.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A smoke and an iPad? That just ain't right.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I moved into my current house about 10 years ago, I think every house in the neighborhood (roughly 40 houses) got the paper.

As of a year ago, two houses still got it. One of those people, died. The lone remaining person who gets it said his wife renewed it without asking him and said it goes straight into the recycling bin.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We're one of two people on our block (about 24 houses on both sides of the street) to get the paper each morning ... and of course, I don't pay for it because I work there.

The neighbors know where I work, and one woman told me recently she and her semi-retired husband cancelled their subscription because the delivery driver left tire treads on the lawn as he pulled into the driveway each morning.

"No offense, but we weren't reading it anyway. We can read all the obituaries online."

Would I pay for the paper if I didn't work there? Probably not, but I'd still like to read it in a paper format. Guess I'd go to the library like all the other cheap old men in town. :)

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Haven't had any kind of home delivery service for many years. I generally run down to the corner on Sunday to buy the local paper and usually the NYT. The local Sunday is $2, but my wife just got a coupon offering us a year's home delivery of Sunday only for $10 a YEAR, which sounds like the bargain to end all bargains.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We canceled about two years ago and I thought I'd miss it.

As it turns out, the first time we really even noticed it was gone was last week when we brought a puppy home.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I guess I'm a different animal. I still get The Bergen Record delivered every day, and I'd be lost without it. I don't have an IPad and don't want one. Okay, I know I'm an old fart but I don't care.
    Carry on.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Growing up my dad got several newspapers. At first, the L.A. Times and Herald-Examiner and Long Beach Press-Telegram. The Examiner folded but he got the other 2. He spent more time face-deep in those papers than he spent with me.

I put together my first newspaper in the 4th grade and was working at the P-T when I was 18.

A few people whose ideas I cherish have said that I probably realized that the path to my dad's attention was through newspapers. Always found that fascinating. Probably some truth to that. I still enjoy reading the newspaper in my hands. Subscribed to the LA Times for a little bit at my first few apartments. For a while in Trenton I had a routine of spending days off taking a train ride to NYC and reading the Washington Post and NYT to and fro.

But I'm digitalized. Doubt I'll ever subscribe to print again.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I still get the Sunday paper delivered. I don't like reading the paper on my iPad. I love reading magazines and books, but not the newspaper for some reason. I live in a high-rise building. On my end of the floor (about 15 apartments), I think two people take the daily paper. I seem to be the only Sunday-only person.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We stopped ours a couple years before I got out of the business. We had just had kids and it became a clutter issue and I already got the paper at my office, which was not the paper itself, but my office at the stadium for the team I covered at the time.

You could read everything online anyway and this was well before Smartphones and tablets and iPads were out there...

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What you miss with the ipad isn't the access to every article but leafing through the paper and finding the odd story that catches your eye.
    The NYTimes version is pretty good because though, it front section is divided into into US, World, Political and Local news, and where they over lap the story appears in multiple locations. The specialty sections like food, science and technology carry over from day to day until replaced, so if you missed yesterdays health article its still there, you don't have to save yesterdays paper. The magazine and Sunday Opinion sections stay viable all week. Its a bit more time intensive with the ipad, its alot quicker than leafing through the paper. And these days there's a lot less paper to leaf through anyway.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I get one magazine delivered digitally — zoom in, scroll left, zoom out, scroll right — and it's a pain in the ass. When I read a newspaper I want it in my hand and that's the way I'll be until I die.

Draft saved Draft deleted