1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No More "Book 'em Dan-o": RIP James MacArthur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 28, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The original Dan-o, James MacArthur has died today at age 72. "Natural causes" is the initial cause of death.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39893712/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just could not take the new 5-0

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Just read a bio on the guy while catching up on the old series. I want to say he was the only survivor of the original 5-0 team -- aside from being Helen Hayes' son, of course.

RIP, Danno. I'm sure McGarrett has work for you in the Great Beyond.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Best moment in the new Hawaii 5-0 show ....

First episode, Danno wrestles bad guy to the ground, cuffs him, McGarrett says, "Book him, Danno."

Second episode, Danno wrestles bad guy to the ground, cuffs him, McGarrett says, "Book him, Danno."

Danno (played by James Caan's son) then says, "So is this gonna be a thing now?"

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I read at some point that the producers of the new show had "talked" to MacArthur about a possible cameo appearance.

I hadn't read that MacArthur was in failing health, but I suppose nobody would have been issuing media updates if he had been.

I also remember him as "Clay-Boy Spencer," the prehistoric prototype of John-Boy Walton from "Spencer's Mountain," 1963.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Prior to that, he played the oldest son in "Swiss Family Robinson," 1960.

RIP.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He was indeed the last of the originals. Jack Lord, Kam Fong and Zulu are all dead. So's the guy who played Wo Fat.

Al Harrington replaced Zulu in season 5 (I think) and he's still around.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I never could remember: was it Kam Fong as Chin Ho or Chin Ho as Kam Fong ... or Zulu as Kono or Kono as Zulu?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The part that kills me is that the character's full name is Chin Ho Kelly. Typical Irish cop.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But Big Chicken is still alive. Zulu was vastly overweight

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"I wouldn't go so far as to call the brother fat. He's got a weight problem. What's the n----- gonna do, he's Samoan."

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted