1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No More BCS?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you hate the .500 teams that go to the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl or the Gildan New Mexico Bowl, you must not agree with American exceptionalism, and therefor hate America.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The SportsJournalists.com Football Poll Bowl has a nice ring to it.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Yes, it is quite interesting that when so many people rail against the notion that everybody gets a ribbon or trophy just for participating that many colleges actually accept and praise mediocrity: "We've gone to seven consecutive bowl games aren't we awesome. Never mind that our record each season was 6-6 or 7-5 or that we started 4-1 because of playing cupcakes and then barely played .250 ball in our conference."

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I never understood the too many bowls complaint. It gives me more college football to watch during the holidays and gives the players more practice time. And if a matchup bores me, I watch something else. The Beef O' Brady's Bowl or BBVA Compass Bowl existing does not negatively affect my life or even my sports watching.

As for the BCS getting out of the bowl matchmaking business, I wonder if you'll see more big bowls tie up their open space with a conference tie-in.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1.Bowl games are exhibition games. Getting upset about exhibition games is silly when they can be ignored instead.
    2. The surplus of bowl games exists for one reason -- there's nothing else much good on TV from December 15 to the first week of January. Give me two 6-6 games in some Godforsaken outpost of the Sun Belt in a bowl sponsored by the local foreclosure mill over a Smurfs Christmas special any day.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The member schools - specifically the major conference member schools - find the current system to be more financially lucrative. So do the NCAA's college football TV rightsholders and corporate sponsors. Unless that changes, there will be no playoff for I-A football.

Besides, if the NCAA were to hold a Division I-A football playoff, it would require each I-A conference to have an automatic bid, as it does in I-AA football and for every other sport. Do you think the Big 12, Pac 12, etc. will accept letting the Sun Belt, MAC and WAC have a cut of their money?

7. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I know why the BCS exists. I'm sure the BCS conferences hope the Big East dies and probably the ACC, too, less teams to share money with.

I don't know if many fans realize the NCAA doesn't run the postseason. It's basically like the NFL running the regular season and then hiring a firm or outside party to run the playoffs. What other league does this? None that I know of in this country.

In the FCS, the Ivy League does not even accept a bid. It plays only regular-season games.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to wear a bright yellow sportscoat!

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why would Wojo refer to it as "Jerry Jones' Cowboys Stadium"

Did he buy the naming rights?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Those bowls have longstanding names that resound with the public, which is why they merely attach their corporate names to the bowl names. They know the public would shit on a longstanding bowl changing their name. The more recent corporate-named bowls didn't have a traditional name, so the public doesn't care.

The Sun Bowl had John Hancock as a sponsor, then changed the name totally to Hancock, but that only lasted a couple of years.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, Jerry does own the stadium with lots of help from Arlington voters ...

12. Technically, the city of Arlington owns the stadium -- this was done so Jerry did not have to pay property tax on it. Jerry pays rent, though there is a mechanism for him to get much (if not all) of it back at the end of the lease. I haven't looked at the deal in awhile so I don't remember exactly how it works. But Jerry does have absolute control over the building and its scheduling and gets the vast majority of the revenue from it, with a few crumbs thrown to the city. For example, if JJ ever manages to sell the naming rights, he gets 95 percent of the loot and the other 5 percent goes to Arlington.

Draft saved Draft deleted