1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No More BCS?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7248953/bcs-proposes-only-handling-national-championship-game-sources-Among

Among other ideas, BCS leaders are looking at only running the championship game.

That is basically the old system with a No. 1-No. 2 game added to it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So it will continue to be a joke?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So they want to get rid of everything ... except the part people hate most.

Not. The. Point.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think what the BCS wants to address is the nonstop conference merry go round, sparked in large part by the big payouts of BCS bowls, and the annual access AQ leagues have to those big payouts:

An interesting point, raised later in the article: Without BCS selecting teams for the top five bowls, do non-BCS league schools like Boise State, Houston, TCU, etc. actually have a tougher time getting into a big-money game? I think they would.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a bunch of horseshit. No team would have any better chance of reaching the title game under the new system than they do now. How would Boise and TCU jump past LSU and Oklahoma State in the rankings regardless of where the postseason bowl affiliation was?

Without being clear on the mechanics, I can make a pretty good guess that this is a huge money grab on the part of SEC, the Big Ten and ESPN.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe. But I bet the Fiesta Bowl would have taken TCU, or 11-1 Boise State, or even 11-1 Nevada, in a heartbeat last year over POS UConn, which wasn't even remotely competitive and didn't sell any tickets at all.

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Allstate Sugar Bowl, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, Discover Orange Bowl.

Side point: We're getting closer to going straight to Allstate Bowl, Tostitos Bowl, Discover Bowl, etc.

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

How about this radical change: Let the NCAA run its own D-I postseason.

The NCAA doesn't conduct its own postseason now and it looks like it won't under the proposed new system either.

9. Mizzougrad96

I see both sides on this one, but there's part of me that would like the 10 spots in BCS games to go to the teams that finish 1-10 in the BCS poll.

That would take away from some of the championship games a bit, if you have a team with three losses that wins a conference title game, it wouldn't guarantee that it goes to the BCS. That's probably why that would never happen.

10. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

The system is a joke. Way too many bowls.

For example, a team like Mississippi State might finish 6-6, go 2-6 in its conference with its biggest wins over Kentucky (4-6) and Ole Miss (2-8) - its other wins are Memphis (2-9), UAB (3-8), La. Tech (6-4) and FCS Tennessee-Martin (5-5) - and gladly accept a bowl bid. Why? This team deserves a bowl bid? Seriously?

11. Mizzougrad96

It is pretty funny when a team that has fired its coach midseason could go to a bowl.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Too-many-bowls outrage jumped the shark a long time ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted