1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more aspartame in Diet Pepsi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ah ... it's a climate change post. Clever.

2. Dick Whitman

doctorquant likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I never drink diet soft drinks (notice I couldn't bring myself to write "soda" or "pop" ... there are some Rubicons a hillbilly from South Carolina won't cross).

I hardly ever drink sugared soft drinks (OK, so maybe twice a month I'll get a Coke or a half-and-half iced tea).

I'm fat.

Thermodynamics suck.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nutrasweet was first put into stuff that people bought and consumed in 1981. What could possibly be unnatural or unhealthy about something that was created in a test tube and introduced to the processed consumables world well into my lifetime? In Monsanto we trust.

5. Dick Whitman

I know, right?

I mean, I'm petrified to see what hundreds of studies have shown about its effects. It has to be horrifying.

6. The Big Ragu

If you want to play Russian Roulette with what you eat, knock yourself out. For me, it's a no thanks proposition.

Nutrasweet has been in mass-produced consumables since 1981. I'm not sure what kind of cause and effect could actually be discerned about its long-term effects in that time period, but even if you naively think "hundreds of studies" or even thousands of studies definitively establish exactly what aspartame does to your body -- with our minsicule amount of knowledge in the grand scheme of things. ... the fact that you are on here over and over again telling us how it's perfectly safe (based on "science!") would make Dunning and Kruger smile.

7. Dick Whitman

Thirty-four years is not long-term.

8. Dick Whitman

I definitely know what sugar does to your body.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There's no requirement for consumer demand to be based in scientific fact. See thimerosal as an example.

Companies caving to consumer demand shouldn't be considered an admission of wrongdoing. Again, see thimerosal as an example.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I have happily consumed enormous amounts of artificial sweeteners since my teens. If it weren’t for highly processed food products, many of which contain high fructose corn syrup, I wouldn’t eat. I have no problems with genetically modified crops and don’t believe organic veggies are nutritionally superior.

I also am willing to believe putting artificial crap in one’s body has health consequences even if years of studies have not linked aspartame to cancer and I'm really healthy despite my questionable diet.

There are studies linking artificial sweeteners – not limited to aspartame – to weight gain and perhaps other health issues. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-obesity-epidemic-scientists-say-1.2769196

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And let's not even get into high fructose syrup ...

12. The Big Ragu

Why do people who have little or no experience in scientific research become convinced of propositions (to the point they are responding to posts like mine with the blue font), because they did their "research" on google or social media, when actual researchers are usually fairly quick to say, "There is infinitely more we don't know than we do know, and to the extent we know anything about things like this, interpreting what we have figured out is extremely difficult because there is a ton of noise to sift through"?

And yes, Dick, when something unnatural was first introduced into the human food supply less than 40 years ago, in the scheme of things that is an eye blink. You (or I) have no idea to what extent--or how--the endless things like aspartame that have showed up in our food supply over that time period have contributed to all kinds of things we have noticed over that time period -- things like soaring rates of diabetes and heart disease, prevalence of different cancers, etc.

Maybe it has had no effect. As I said, good luck to you if you want to play Russian Roulette that way with your body. But it's ridiculous for you to be on here trying to shout down anyone with the sense to question what could a lab-made chemical that is prevalent in food today (in just 3 decades) thanks to Monsanto could possibly be doing to people.

Socrates said, "I know nothing." Confuscious said, "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." Shakespeare wrote, "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." Darwin wrote, ""Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."

Draft saved Draft deleted