1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no more 5950?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I'm not sure what's funnier: that CR is taking this as personally as he is, or that he thinks I'm old.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The New Era hats have declined in quality remarkably in recent years. It used to be you could buy an authentic MLB hat and it would last for a decade or more. Now, the stitching is imperfect, logos are asymmetrical and fits vary from hat to hat even if they all have the same ostensible size. There's also an incessant creeping of logos onto hats...it's harder and harder to find a hat that doesn't have a New Era flag on the side or a Nike swoosh, etc.

Also, anyone who wears a straight brim looks ridiculous. Human heads are curvilinear. A straight line, then, does not look natural on anyone's face. There's a reason women don't pluck their eyebrows into straight lines and that no human society that I can recall has ever had a square-hat craze. Eyeglass fashion supports this premise as well; through the years, only an extremely small fraction of frame designs have offered designs with right angles.

As far as leaving stickers on, I suppose the point of that is to imply that you just bought something because you're big-balling and have money to burn, 20 dollars at a time. It's pretty funny, then, when a hat is allowed to age or is worn frequently, yet the sticker remains. It's not some action figure; it's not like it has resale value if you don't mess with it.

Also, the best way to clean a wool hat is to dry clean it. It won't mess with the size usually, but if it does, just tell the clerk they shrunk your hat a little too much and they can put it back in the steam machine or whatever and in about five seconds your hat will be larger than it was before.

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Where do you get a 59 FIFTY for anywhere near 20 bucks? Is that the used price?

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

I think the society of train conductors would like to disagree with you.

[​IMG]

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

It's an intimation that a fitted hat ought to cost around 20 bucks. The materials cost hasn't changed much in the five or 10 years or so since you could buy such a fitted baseball hat for 19.99, and the quality of production has clearly declined.

I think at some point in the past several years merchandisers and sports leagues realized that a certain class of hardcore sports fans will buy a large number of replica jerseys, fitted hats, and various other items no matter what the price is. Don't NFL replica jerseys cost 80 or 100 dollars now? It's just stunning people will pay that much for plastic lettering and nylon.

This is not to say I don't like hats, but rather that I think they've become overpriced.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I want to drop it, but I can't. CR, I've met you and I've seen what you look like. You're a hottie. If you really do wear your hat like it -- barf.

Girls do not think that they're attractive. They'll think your a punk and a loser.

And I'm not that much older than you.

8. CradleRobber

I'll leave it at this: I knew a girl who liked one of my Dodgers hats so much, she asked me to wear it in bed. Maybe it was just that girl, and maybe it was because it was a rare hat, not that it had a sticker and a flat bill, but I'm not walking around to a bunch of females barfing or looking at me like I'm a punk.

I'm sorry so many people disagree, but that's just how I like to wear 59 FIFTYs. I don't wear Tall-Tees, chains or Air Force Ones. I don't pretend to be a rapper. I just like the look and feel, and I'll be sad to see this hat style go.

End of thread.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Naw, I want to make a post on it. So it ain't ended.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Outing alert: CradleRobber is Steve Garvey.

11. CradleRobber

[​IMG]

Now there's a really good pitcher who knows how to wear his bill, too.

12. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

At least he took the sticker off

Draft saved Draft deleted