1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No money = no sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jul 28, 2008.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm dying to know... ??? :)

2. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

I've seen 5A football games in my state draw less than 100 people on a regular basis. Them boys ain't helpin' pay for shit.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

There's a measure in front of the Hawaii DOE to eliminate JV teams (and varsity judo) in an effort to address a $1 million budget shortfall. There aren't any freshman teams, so the HHSAA is looking at leaving something like 6,000 kids to their own devices after school.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2008/07/26/sports/sports01.txt
    http://preptalk.honadvblogs.com/

4. SigR

SigR Member

The issue behind all the other issues is this: Public schools should provide education, not sports activities. Why are we robbing our neighbors through taxation, some of whom never intend to have kids, so that johnny can play baseball? Shouldn't that be the responsibility of, say, johnny's parents or johnny himself? At least public education can be rationalized as a public good--that the more educated society becomes, the better it functions. There is no "public good" that comes from johnny making the baseball team.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

There is no public good in HS sports? You can argue the degree of that good and if it is worth the investment, but to argue there is no public good from HS sports is intellectually dishonest.

Bottom line is, and most hardline libertarians seem to miss this, is that you get to pay now or later. You want to pay for schools and the activities that make it a well-rounded place for a child to have their upbringing enriched or do you want to pay for the cops and prisons that will be needed when we turn our back on those kids whose parents have neglected them to a point that a team or a club is the one thing that keeps team off the street?

Not your problem? No shit. It's our problem.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Don't feed the troll, Lester.

7. SigR

SigR Member

You mean someone who has a different opinion? Learn what a troll is. Until then, stfu.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That he wasn't banned for his shit on the autism thread is one of the greatest upsets ever in SportsJournalists.com land.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

[​IMG]

Creeping, creeping.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

if you drop athletics, you drop everything else.
    Band, choir, any and all extracurricular activities.
    Because if you argue no "public good" comes from sports, you have to say the same thing about everything else.
    That's not what people want from their public schools. And, more importantly, people are willing to pay taxes to support the things they want. More often than not, at least in my state, when the schools say they need more money, voters approve tax increases.

11. SigR

SigR Member

(this post is unrelated to the thread topic)

Go back and read the autism thread with an objective eye and I think a reasonable individual would see that the hostility and insults were directed squarely at me long before I made anything personal. Whether I deserve to be banned for what I said at the end is up to the owner/decision makers of these boards. I know it's easy to paint me as the devil, but the things that were said to me were every bit as cruel as what I said in that last post, if not moreso. While it is no excuse for the cruelty i exhibited in my last statement, I'd think an impartial moderator could look at the thread and chalk it up to "things getting out of hand" and leaving it at that.

I've participated in these boards thoughtfully and only in an attempt to find intelligent individuals willing to discuss issues. I've learned a lot, but these boards (and many like them) are plagued by a clique of high-post-count e-thugs who religiously beat down those who have opinions outside what they believe in. For some people it is much easier to hurl personal attacks than it is to take on an issue and discuss it reasonably.

12. SigR

SigR Member

Which then brings in the next question: Should we have public schools in the first place? I don't really care if 99 out of 100 people want to be taxed to provide for johnny's education. If one person doesn't, then it is 99 people stealing money from one person, and that is wrong.

Why should someone who doesn't want kids and will never have kids be forced with a gun to the temple to pay for johnny's education?

Draft saved Draft deleted