1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No money = no sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jul 28, 2008.

1. SigR

SigR Member

To be fair, my comment in the autism thread was intended to be cold (even though it could have been read as a legitimate question--one worthy of debate if not for the delicate circumstances) and I wouldn't be outraged for being banned because of it. I just think people focused on my comment instead of looking at the entirety of the thread and seeing the cruelty and personal attacks toward me that came before it.

Message boards are weird places for all the obvious reasons. I think we forget sometimes that a human being is on the other end who probably isn't as dismal a person as his or her words sometimes make them out to be. Seriously, they are just words. They have no power except what we allow them to have. Often, especially with me, they are incomplete ideas looking for something to make them whole. I think it's a good lesson for me the next time I get heated over someone else's words, especially when it devolves into personal attacks.

Are they really even personal if the person doesn't even know me?

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Don't disagree. Bans are pretty ridiculous. Besides, like Sig says, the "market" will take care of random defects.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For someone to say it is just words on a place where the vast majority of us work in words seems a bit disingenuous.
    An easy out, if you like.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the kids should get jobs. or clean their rooms. Or both.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn right. And pull up their damn pants, too!

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nevertheless, there are times when it is called for --- as this board's history certainly proves.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fascist.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted