1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No means No, dammit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Mar 23, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I've got the prep slot tonight and Thursday is our early deadline night because the paper runs our weekend entertainment section ROP instead of pre-print. First copy deadline for preps is 8:30, second is 10.
    So we're late with the prep copy amnyway, because one dickhead baseball coach decides to call in his city championship game with a 1:30 p.m. start at 10:15 p.m.
    10:20 the phone rings.
    "I want to call in a pair of games"
    Sir, it's past our deadline. We can't..
    Long Pause.
    "You can't get my game in the paper. It went 8 innings."
    I'd love to, but I can't.
    "Can I call it in for Saturday's paper"
    No. you can't. We don't do that.
    Long steaming pause.
    "You won't put my game in the paper."
    It is at this point, all I can do not to yell "IT'S A FUCKING BASEBALL GAME! YOU PLAY 40-50 OF THEM A YEAR! YOU CALLED TOO LATE! WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO TAKE IT EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT GETTING IN THE PAPER?"
    Instead, I say politely but firmly: Coach, it's not that I won't, but I can't. We don't have room for second-day games. I'm sorry but it's too late.
    "Fine. I'll just call the (prep editor) tomorrow and have him put it in."
    and he hung up, which was a good thing because I did so want to say "Guess who's working tomorrow night too?"

Three minutes later, the phone rings again.
    Different coach, different game, same tourney, same result.
    Coach, I'm sorry, but I can't get this in the paper. We are too late for our paper. Thank you for calling, but there's nothing I can do.
    "Fine. You guys just don't give a shit about us when we win." as if I was supposed to know his team won before I answered the phone.

Fucking Spring coaches... I hate 'em....

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Look, don't hold back, what do you really think about prep baseball coaches?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Isn't just baseball coaches.
    Spring coaches -- all over -- just dont get it. Softball coach calls at 9:45 last week "I have a doubleheader to call in from this afternoon..."

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

I agree. I have 8:30 tuesday deadline for Wednesday's paper. I sent out a letter stating this to all coaches in my area and then called them to see if they got the letter. I still get calls at 8:45 or 9 p.m. from coaches wanting to know if they can get their scores in Wednesday's paper. A local tennis coach who always calls in every match does this sometimes, which I can't understand because her team's matches start at 4 p.m. No way tennis takes five hours. I'm with you, I don't understand why they have to wait so long to call games in.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This is a problem that really bugs me too, especially during tournament play.

Team plays two games — 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. When do they call? Seven hours after the last games ends and all the night games are wrapping up.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got one from a coach yesterday, when I called him to get the last game from a tourney.
    "I went to our JV tourney, then I went out to dinner...
    "I forgot. Can I call you later?"

If you "forgot" once, why the fuck do you think I'm calling you now... assclown.

And what really pushed my fucking button was when this coach said "Oh. I'll just call (prep editor) tomorrow and he'll put it in Saturday."
    Oh. I'll just quiver while you threaten to go over my head.

7. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

I had a doubleheader called in 15 minutes before deadline tonight from a softball coach. It normally takes about a minute, maybe two, to take one. This lady had me on the phone for nearly 10 minutes. I agree, spring sports coaches are the worst.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And they bitch the most. That's the fucking rub.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a little piece of me wants to believe they all conspire to be cocksuckers, AND, they do a damn fine job.

<notice the lack of blue font.>

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As a centipede would say: no, no, a thousand times, no.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn fine job at their job or in their conspiracy to be cocksuckers?

12. Taylee

Taylee Member

Every time I deal with a dickhead spring coach, I just remember that the spring season is the shortest and then it's summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted