1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No looting in Japan: An interesting take

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Mar 14, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Stoney, Poindexter claimed it. And I responded to him. Then you entered the fray. And I have never bashed the Japanese. I have stated several times, they don't have the market on integrity and character. At the same time, they have done good AND bad. Like everyone else. That is hardly bashing them.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Then would it follow saying there's no Japanese prisons containing Japanese people? I would be interested in looking at the percentage comparisons of prison populations. I would bet that Japan's is much lower than America's. I'd look it up now but I'm past dead tired with a head cold.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Y'all are silly. American people "loot." Japanese people "find."

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/looters.asp

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I still do. Its a broad brush statement, fine. I stand behind it. I have two eyes and a brain, and know what my brain processes. War atrocities from 70 years ago? Hell, 18 Texans gang raped an 11 year old this week - you could sit there anecdotally forever.

I'd take the character of the average Japanese person over the average american - so shoot me.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.slate.com/id/2288514/

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unbelievably, I'm posting a link to the American Thinker.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/03/why_the_japanese_arent_looting.html

7. printdust

printdust New Member

So why did you?

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I brought this up a couple days ago with a colleague. Also, market owners actually LOWERED prices of goods needed to help the survivors. That would NEVER happen here (See: Gas Prices).
    I think it should be publicized more to show how civil people act in a crisis.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I think I read this in the Slate article, but the Japanese have an interesting system where they reward people for being honest. Find a wallet, turn it in, and you get a reward, or if they can't find the owner, they give it back to you eventually. Find a wallet and keep it and theoretically you can go to jail for 10 years.

They also have designated police booths throughout their cities in set places. Knowing what I know about public polling, I was blown away by the fact that 95 percent of Japanese know where their local police booth is located.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Just wait...China will be looking at some revenge, aiming at the the economic capitalization of this tragedy.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Yeah, and I'm sure some Nazis gather in dark corners of Germany to honor its legends. Not exactly sanctioned by the nation, though.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Every culture has it's flaws. Japan is xenophobic, for example.

But I am now living in Japan. I was in Osaka the day of the earthquake and was unaffected because it is 400-500 miles about west of the epicenter.

But walking back to the hotel I passed a bikestand at a subway stop. I noticed something unusual on a bike. A lock. So I counted. 61 bikes and five locks.

The level of civic trust is nice. Probably it will take a 1,000 thesises to figure out why but it is nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted