1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No looting in Japan: An interesting take

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I doubt there are many Japanese who were directly involved in the war effort that are still alive.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those bad acts took place during my dad's (who is still very much alive) lifetime.The point was, that was still Japan. And 70 years ago is not that long, when you are talking about the character of a culture. My statement was in response to a broad brush statement about their better character and integrity. As I said, the Japanese are human. They are capable of good and bad -- and have demonstrated good and bad, even more recently than 70 years ago -- even if they didn't loot in the wake of this disaster, and Americans have looted in the wake of disasters. The broad brush statement of their better character and integrity was misplaced. Because for what it's worth, I can point out instances of Americans not acting like barbarians and actually acting quite benevolent under extreme circumstances. It doesn't mean Americans as a broad statement have better integrity and character than the Japanese, either. I don't like broad brush statements. Because no culture is perfect when it comes to character and integrity. Most are quite similar. They do good. They do bad.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Every year around this time, the Japanese celebrate the "war heroics" of some of the men that were in charge of the rape and pillage of Nanking.

Every year that it happens, the Chinese population gets up in arms and complains. The Japanese have no concept of the horrors that they put on those people. We, in the USA, at least have some concept about our history of racism.

Japan has also never apologized for what they did during the war. I think that goes towards the character of the people as well...

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can you provide a link or some additional information detailing this? There certainly is no formal holiday for this purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Having read through that list, I stand by what I stated before. Japan has never apologized for the rape and pillaging that they engaged in for sport in Nanking. The actions of Japan continuing to honor the criminals that engaged in those acts far overshadow a few general words of "We're sorry about bad things that occurred during World War II."

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Japan had more than 42 million Chinese descendants living in their country today, they probably would have the "concept" of it like we do.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

On the one hand, I like that this board is intelligent enough to be discussing Nanking.

On the other hand, I don't see it as particularly relevant to this discussion.

This disaster interests me in especial because it largely affects the "hidden" Japanese who don't live in the Tokyo megalopolis, who to me are the most interesting. I've always been fascinating by Hokkaido, for instance. Japan may be homogeneous -- my goodness, is it ever -- but there are plenty of other differences between regions, etc.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You still haven't provided a link explaining precisely what you're referring to with these claims. There are no Japanese holidays that remotely fit that description--they don't even have one analogous to a Veteran's day--and I spent a couple years there and don't recall any celebrations of war criminals.

Except that's not what you stated before. Before you stated Japan has never apologized for "what they did during the war." As the preceding link shows, Japan actually has issued a long list of apologies for the war and their crimes during that period. The fact that you don't find the wording specific and detailed enough doesn't change the fact that apologies have been issued.

That said, I'll concede that Japan has been much more reluctant to acknowledge its crimes of the 30s and 40s than Germany, and more reluctant than we have been in coming to terms with the uglier chapters in our own history. As I've been told, some of that reluctance is related to the Japanese cultural trait that places far more importance on honoring your elders and ancestors than in Western cultures. Most Japanese grow up being taught that you simply do not speak ill of grandpa--ever--so the idea of their govt declaring that he might've been a butcherous monster is too much for many of them to handle.

But, once again, I've no idea the relevance to this thread topic. As I recall, all this WWII era stuff first came up in response to poindexter praising the character of TODAY'S Japanese society. The Nanking atrocities were committed by Japanese soldiers in 1937. I don't see how their misconduct reflects the character of today's Japanese any more than slavery and native American genocide reflect my character.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Stoney, the board has had this conversation multiple times about the Holocaust. Moving the focus from Europe to Asia doesn't change my basic take.

Nobody holds the Inquisition against Spaniards today. But there are still a few people alive who survived Nanking or the Holocaust. And there are a good bit more who are the children of those survivors.

What happened in the 1930s and '40s may seem as remote to you as the Inquisition. Others less lucky or less young than you might disagree. The good news is time can heal this. Just not in living memory.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

After 9/11, I saw more remarkable acts of kindness and giving in my immediate community than I have seen during any other time in my lifetime. I'd still never isolate one small period of time and make a broad-brush statement that Americans have more character and integrity than another country's people. As a percentage of its GDP, the United States gives a much greater percentage to charity than Japan does. Should we isolate that and state that Americans, as a result, have more integrity and character than the Japanese?

Not to mention what waterytart just said. The Rape of Nanking is NOT ancient history. Just as the Holocaust is not ancient history. Nor is the Serbian massacre of Croatians (what comes next by someone who was born a few years afterward). Those kinds of atrocities, particularly because of their shocking nature, don't just go away. They are a mark on the people who committed them and remain so for a long while.

My opinion again, is that those broad-brush statements are silly. The Japanese aren't sinners. They aren't saints. They are human. There may be cultural differences that lead to interesting behaviors and it makes for great discussion. But stating that the Japanese have better character and integrity than Americans uses really arbitrary criteria. When called on it, the answer has essentially been that the history that occurred during the lifetimes of people still alive, doesn't exist. Only yesterday matters.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet those still living from Bataan Death March have some memories of brutality.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So now we're bringing in the Bataan Death March ...Seriously? So we're gonna turn a thread about the lack of looting as the Japanese are currently suffering through their worst crises since WWII into a Japan bashing thread?

And, Ragu, I never once claimed that the Japanese have "more character and integrity" than Americans. My only point was that bringing up events that occured 74 years ago was not a particularly valid rebuttal to a statement about the character of TODAY'S Japanese society.

Honestly, none of this WWII era stuff ever should've been part of this discussion, and I think I'm done talking about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted