1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No longer ALLOWED to jump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well done?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You all can kiss my charticles :)

Seriously, every story is different, and there should be no one hard rule on number of jumps. We've had those rules at times at my paper, and on occasion, we've said, 'the heck with it' and broken our jump rule when either news or design needs demanded it. Nobody canceled their paper in protest of 'too many jumps.'

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Charlie, of course you should give a story what it's worth. And no question that 12'' feature isn't a feature. I use the 12" rule to make a story tight. Again, that's just in my head and not necessarily done.

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Awesome. That's going in the sig. :D

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I got your Sharticle right here.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Glad I can be of service. :)

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I worked at a joint 15-16 years ago which insiututed, and enforced, a strict no-jump rule.

Idiotic.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem here, Drip, is that it is a hard and fast rule.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

when i have to write stories for the very front page of our paper, i'm told right off: "make sure it's not so long that we have to jump it."
    we're talking stories 500-600 words long. if i reach into the 650-700 word range, they're gonna cut it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And people wonder why this business is going downhill.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

When I got to this paper five years ago, jumps were not allowed. When they let me take control of last year's redesign, I and others here pushed like mad to bring them in. We were sick of the tiny news holes.

What we got were jumps from the front page. That has allowed our front page stories to be written to a length they deserve, not a length that will fit.

As for the inside pages, you have to do a good job giving space where it's deserved and cutting the hell out of other things to make it work. But it can work.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Are you in sports? And if so, do you really jump stories from one inside page to another? I've never seen that in the sports section, except for a couple of rare circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted