1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No longer ALLOWED to jump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Cosmo, it can be done. I'm not saying that it's going to be eloquent, or Pulitzer Prize winning stuff, but it can be done. And I'm talking about both features and gamers.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't think this works very well as a hard and fast rule.

Some stories simply can't be told in 12 inches. And, frankly, these are usually the best stories to tell.

3. USA Today only jumps one story, right? I can't remember.

Our paper does not allow us to jump more than two. The other sections, it's usually one.

And I, too, hate word "charticle." I never heard that before I took the job I have now. The first time I heard it, I wanted to ask, "Are you speaking English?"

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You ever read Her Blue Heaven?

5. Do you work for a magalogue?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree it doesn't work for every story. But as I said, I just used it as a rule of thumb and it worked out fine.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Most definitely. Again, that rule is not a hard fast rule. Just one that I put in my head.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

OK then ... I guess I can agree with that. Some stories work well at 12 inches, and some don't.

In other news, I think I'll either eat lunch today, or else I won't.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

A 12-inch "feature" is an oxymoron and an appetizer.

Twelve inches can give you the highlights of a game but it can't give you depth. Twelve inches works for some events but not all of them.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

No question. Again, it doesn't work for every case but over the years, I've read a lot of 25 inch features that had 10-15 inches of fluff.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

THAT was the dismissive tone I was looking for.

Well done.

12. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Just because there are features 25 inches long with 10-15 inches of fluff doesn't mean 12 inches is a good rule of thumb for a feature. That's absurd. Poorly written features should not be an excuse or justification for poorly conceived features, which is what you have when you say 12 inches can work for features. It's not a feature. A profile, maybe. A pregnant brite, but not a feature. Let's just hand out leaflets and call them newspapers. Good heavens.

And speaking of that, Cowbell guy, it's "Her Blue Haven," not "Heaven."

Draft saved Draft deleted