1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No longer ALLOWED to jump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

So there's a bit on the APSE site about how various sports sections are dealing with shrinking news hole:

This quote caught my eye:

Seriously? No longer ALLOWED to jump? What the eff is going on here anymore!?!

This heavy-handed, poorly thought out policy leads to atrocious front page designs, little to no depth in reporting and ultimately an increase in canceled subscriptions. I know because my paper, unfortunately, also attempted this "experiment."

If only we could force the corporate suits to stop jumping...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

And yet, I'll bet their Web site features stories that "jump" from Page 1 to Page 2 (and beyond, at times) to increase the number of page views/clicks.
  3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hahaha!! This isn't all that new. About six years ago, I had an SE (came in after I was already there) who tried a no-jump rule, along with a few other radical ideas.

The effect was we cut about every story to about 10-12 inches. I pretty much gave up coming up with feature ideas.

Now, there have been plenty of times when I didn't have any jumps off the cover simply because I had virtually no inside jump space. But I fight against having hard and fast rules like that.
  4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Newspaper executives: pissing on their readers in a regular basis.

"See we gave you what you wanted. Fewer and shorter stories. Thinner sections. Less overall coverage- national and local. And higher prices! Yes, we listened to what you wanted and delivered."

Heard of a shop back in the day that never allowed any stories longer than 12 inches. Ever. Only two jumps allowed in each section.

Features had three "bullet" subheads. No subsection longer than three graphs. Mostly one-source stories.

Idea lasted about two weeks until readers demanded a change. Somehow they got the section to go back to normal.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't read the print product much anymore. And when I do, I find it thoroughly lacking. Lead, Quote, Context, End quote just isn't a story. Right now I see all newspapers print product a strange and uncomfortable hybrid of Web writing and old school news writing. They'd be better off just putting a nice pretty picture on the front, with linescores of games followed with a nuggetoid(When it was over, What it means, What's Next and a quote).
  6. Alternative story forms?
    Is that even a fucking word?
    Jesus wept.
  7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We tried to write short, boring stories for our paper's Web site (we're a weekly) immediately, teasing full coverage for the paper that week.
    Are we at the point where dailies are going to do the opposite?

'for an in-depth look at this game log on to www.ournewspapersucks.com?
  8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The paper I string for is pretty much a 10-12 inch shop....No matter how much I re-read the things I write and rework sentences, when I see it in the paper it's always reads so choppy. Freaking hate it, but c'est la vie.
  9. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

We had an editor who tried the "no jump" idea. Everyone pretty much ignored him.

Six pages, eight-paragraph stories and increasing the cost of the paper is not the way to attract or keep readers.
  10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Blanket rules are stupid rules. And, it really screams to your writers... YOU BLOW CHUNKS.

Never any takeout pieces out front. NEVER.

Our shit's fucked up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We've been big on charticles for several years now. It's all the rage!
  12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

My last editor, loved working for him but damn, if he wouldn't get wood when we had two or more stories (on a four- or five-story front) that didn't jump. He wanted at least one non-jumping story a day out front.

Fenian, I'm told Van McKenzie pioneered the "charticle" when he was at the Orlando Sentinel. Just another word for "really big breakout." Some things work well that way, like game advances, game stories and some trend pieces. Features, takeouts -- leave those alone and give me something to read. Please.
Draft saved Draft deleted