1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No joke: RIP Sherri Martel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Unlike a certain WWE chairman, former female world champion Sherri Martel passed away at age 49, PWInsider.com reported today.

Martel, whose real name was Sherri Russell, was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame at Wrestlemania 21.

She worked in AWA, WWF/E and WCW and was a manager for such people as Shawn Michaels, Randy Savage and Harlem Heat.

RIP

Edit update: Dave Meltzer of wrestlingobserver.com said police were investigating her death and were talking to her husband when he first posted news of her death. No indication if her death was accidental or if her husband is being investigated.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was she the one who Steve Perry sang about in "Oh, Sherry"?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

RIP to the sensational one.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

RIP. Weird, I was watching Shawn Michaels-Rick Martel from SummerSlam '92 (the match fought for Sherri) only two days ago.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

She was always sensational, but she played the "Scary" Sherri role to perfection too.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I met her once when her and the Macho Man were the special guests at a party Coliseum Video was hosting at a video dealers convention here in Toronto that a buddy of mine helped organize.

While Savage was doing his thing on stage I chatted with her for a few minutes and found her to be very polite and soft spoken, a complete 180 from the Scary Sherri gimmick she had then. She was a lot taller and broad-shouldered than I thought too.

RIP.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Looks better in this recent picture than she did back in the day...RIP.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. I'm hearing a drug overdose, sadly...

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

RIP Sherri.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Terrible news. RIP.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Wow. As a kid growing up during the late '80s and early '90s who paid way too much attention to pro wrestling, I always loved the Sensational Sherri. And now I'll miss her, even on the fringes of a world I don't really know much about any more.

And that photo above, Buddha ... hadn't seen in recent years, but she was still gorgeous.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shocking.

Draft saved Draft deleted