1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No jail for Libby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Jul 2, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you are a Republican up for office in 2008, at which point do you simply abandon this administration completely?

While it might make people like old tony happy, it ain't getting any GOP candidates any swing votes, and neither is his refusal to get rid of Gonzales.

It is, however, money in the bank for Democratic candidates.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Holy crud is this awful. Read Bush's statement. Whichever of Cheney's henchmen wrote it didn't even make any bones about it.

It basically says, "We didn't like the court sending our friend to jail, so we are going to use our authority to say screw you to the justice system and subjectively let him off the hook while ignoring thousands of other people who got convicted of felonies, sent to jail and unfortunately for them, have friends who are a lot less powerful than us, so even though they didn't like their friends having to go to prison, they couldn't just ignore a prison sentence the way we can, because we occupy the White House. FU everyone else. The justice system doesn't apply to friends of the President. Prison is for everyone else."

What a damned crock.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reminds me of something I read some time: "He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers" oh, yeah, that was the Declaration of Independence.

4. What a crock of shit.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why was it the right thing to do?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Combined with the fate of the immigration legislation . . . a charming one-two punch in the groin to every GOP incumbent up for re-election next year . . . who fell in with these creeps.

Heh, heh, heh.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It doesn't happen often, but WFW Ragu.

They don't even try to give the appearance that they believe in the rule of law any more. That's as dangerous as anything they've ever done.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Old Tony offers a toast to good sense and noblesse oblige at Scooter's welcome home bash in the Rove's rumpus room.

[​IMG]

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Happy Traaaaaaillllllls . . . to youuuuuuuuuuu . . . "

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

BTW, jgmacg, congrats on becoming a writing thread moderator. That now makes it 27 moderators on that board.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I truly believe that Old_Tony is just trying to get the board worked up in a lather.
    If I was a Republican, I would be outraged by this decision. If you're up for re-election, how do you defend this?
    Looking at it from every angle, I don't see how anyone, outside of Libby's family, could call this a good move. The only thing I can see is that the thought process was that this would be better than a straight pardon, but that could still happen.
    I would really like to hear Old_Tony or anyone else come up with a big argument for Bush's move.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted