1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No home phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I held out against answering machines all the way through the 1980s, until I had some important job applications on the market and suddenly it was important that I not miss phone calls.

I held out against a cell phone until 2002, finally took the plunge because I was going out of town for a week and there were reasons I needed a cellie. Once I got it, I gradually started shifting most of my phone calling to the cell, and cutting back the landline service -- from a full-service deal with unrestricted long distance, etc etc., down to a limited-call plan.

Now I've got a Samsung BlackJack with internet access, e-mail, built-in camera, GPS, the whole smash. I don't use half the stuff on it, but it's fun to have anyway.

I kept the land line because of 911 and the rationale I needed it for my home fax, then I realized: I sent about three faxes a year from home, and there's a copy center with fax about 300 yards from my house. A year or so ago, there was a bank botch-up on the automatic debit payments on my land line, and all of a sudden I got this notice: "your phone service has been disconnected," so I just said, "fuck it."

I've gotten along just fine. Everyone who needs to call me can call me, and most of who don't need to, can't. ;) ;)

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to people grabbing every gadget and application. Just a cell phone, and I'm pretty sure a cell phone has gone way past being a gadget by now.

Find me a call/text plan that costs more than $100 bucks. No chance a call/text plan costs as much as a car payment. Are you serious?

Listen, I don't care if you, or anyone else, have a cell phone or not. But don't try to say it's because it would be like having an extra car payment.

I'm always a little behind on the new "gadgets and applications," but it's like some people enjoy living in the 80s. And good for you. I just find it amusing. That's all.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When I used to have a cell phone in college, any time you don't answer the phone or at least return the call within 30 minutes or so, people got butthurty about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They make stuff for that condition.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's a problem with your friends, Rick, not the phone.

And BTE, I have unlimited texts, the internet and a Canadian calling plan on my phone. I still don't spend $60 a month on it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's because you probably have some plan with no minutes, since you don't talk on the phone. :D

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have 450 minutes. I've gone over like twice. Everybody I know has Verizon, so I don't use minutes when I do actually like call people (about once a year, except for my parents).

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Either way, I've been phone-less for years and never regretted it.

I can't speak for him, but it's not that at all for me. I never go anywhere without my laptop. Heck, if we're talking techie cred, I do my own computer repairs and upgrades.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

We know as much about these phones as we knew about smoking in 1959, likely less.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Which is why I still have a land line. You're my friend, my immediate or doted-on extended family, my babysitter or my kids' schools? You have my cell number.

You're on a school committee with me, a synagogue committee, a utility or other vendor, far-flung extended family or <respectful pause> my mother? You have my land line.

Draft saved Draft deleted