1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No home phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Sep 28, 2009.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Gave up the landline a few months ago and I don't miss it, particurlarly because of the propensity of my in laws (mother, sister, and brother) calling my house a ridiculous number of times each day.

Now, they just call the Mrs. cell all of the time, and it is even starting to drive her crazy.

But I the less I have to talk to them, the better off I am. Score!!!!

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Haven't had a land line since 2001.

The only compelling reason I've heard for keeping a land line is for calling 911, especially if you have little kids who might not know where to find or how to operate a cell phone.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Queen suggested giving up our land lines but our cell service is real spotty in the house. Plus she always loses her cell phones.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We have a telegraph line, and a coop of carrier pigeons.
    No land line necessary.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This explains the red x you keep posting over on the R&R HOF thread.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you live in Southern California, or other places prone to major national disasters, I think you're crazy to not have a land line...I can think of 4 times in the past 5 years my cell phone service was cut off after a quake and yet I was able to call our home and check on it via the landline.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll keep that in mind when I move out there!

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I keep my land line only because my DSL comes through the same ATT line. I'm sure somebody will tell me why that isn't necessary. I haven't really looked into it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I haven't had a land line since I lived in the dorms.

Wow, I feel old just typing that.

One downside to the cell phones, though: I can remember all of my friends phone numbers from high school. I couldn't tell you anyone's phone number off the top of my head. If I drop the Berry in the river, I'm going to be completely lost.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You should be able to (with the right software) either sync or backup your Blackberry's contents to your computer. Of course, if you drop both your Blackberry <i>and</i> your PC in the river, you're still fucked in a non-nice way.

Draft saved Draft deleted