1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No home phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Sep 28, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dumped the landline a few months ago. Don't particularly miss it.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I had a land line in 2006 for about three months. Never used it, canceled it, never went back, don't miss it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have a landline and a cell. Won't give up the landline because my cell service is spotty in the house but I also have a fax machine and you can't receive faxes well on a cell phone... Damn USB port is too big...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only reason we still have a land line is because our security system can't run without it. I don't think I've ever given out my home number. The only people who ever call it are telemarketers and my wife's family.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Most systems can.

They'll come install a little "cell phone" device (inside your existing system) that will transmit the call to the security company. Then, the security company calls you back on your cell.

The security folks stopped by a hundred times after we bought our new house.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Given the choice, I'd take the telemarketers.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't even think mine is that much. Might be. I know with Comcast it was cheaper to get the three-way bundle than the two-way. Don't know why.

UVerse it's a little more, but it's less than what it would cost to upgrade my cell plan. So it's a win-win. Plus, it holds a charge much longer.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't had a land line is 5 years. All cell all the time.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Mizzou,

You can get a GCMS transmitter to get rid of the land line, as mentioned... It's a good option.

We don't have a home phone, though we're thinking of getting that MagicJack thing if I ever remember to look into it. That would be for the times the wife forgets to charge her Blackberry.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm coming up on 10 years with no landline. Never for a second regretted it.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I got rid of our landline about five months ago but the dolts at Primus kept sending us invoices.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We've still got a landline just in case, Tebow forbid, we need to call 911. Our local emergency services can pinpoint landlines, but not cell phones yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted