1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-hitter etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, May 21, 2007.

1. Tell the PR guy to stick it up his cramhole. Anyone who honestly believes mentioning a no-hitter while one is in the process actually causes some sort of cosmic force to break it up is a total dipwad. Do your job and don't think twice about it.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

The protocol on the bench is not to mention a no-hitter. There is some wisdom in that, because a pitcher might try to strike everybody out or do something which he might not be capable of and throw himself off.

Red Barber would mention when somebody had a no-hitter going back in the 1940s, and that has been pretty much regarded as professional for an announcer to mention if somebody has a no-hitter going into the sixth inning - for crying out loud, it is a big story. I remember Bob Murphy saying that if announcers could affect things to that degree on a ball field, they would be paid a lot more money.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Heard a Dodger no hitter once. In the seventh inning, not sure if he was just being a pro, Vin Scully said. "He hasn't allowed a hit." Then at the end of eighth inning, "He still hasn't allowed a hit." Scully never used the term no-hitter until the last out was recorded. With two outs in the ninth, he said, "He's one out away." Never used the term no-hitter until the game ended. Interesting.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I do not believe in radio / TV / internet jinxes and never have. What they say or show do not affect the pitcher on the bump or the players on the field.

What the players do or say is one thing. But in the booth, there is no embargo. I recall Buck and Shannon carrying-on on June 26, 1999 from the fifth inning on about Jose Jimenez's

NO-HITTER!!!!

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Good for them!

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll whole heartedly second that.

Draft saved Draft deleted