1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-hitter etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, May 21, 2007.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Just don't byline it and all problems are solved ... well, other than you blowing the no-no.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Well, none of us would have known the guy had a no-no going if Phila hadn't told us. Sounds like he has it covered.

3. I'll rib someone a little bit if they mention a no-hitter in progress while we're in the press box, but they'll know I don't really think it's their fault if it gets ruined.

But one superstition I'll never sway from is mentioning how quickly a game is going. I don't know how many times some yahoo has said, "Wow, this game is going pretty fast!" Next thing you know both teams score 6 runs in an inning and I'm rushing to make deadline. F#@K all guys/gals who do that.

4. satchmo

satchmo Member

Point of order [the Robert's Rules shit, not the handle]
    What he is referring to is a "radio gamer" as opposed to a phoner. Generally, a phoner implies that you didn't keep up with anything and are writing off a phone call and a box score. Carry on.

YHS,
    Satch

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Well F**K you then!!!!! :D
    [/blue font]

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is a good point. Well, the first one. ;)
    I know some on this thread think this is a ridiculous topic, but it really has merit.
    Watching a Ticker or Internet play-by-play is not covering a game. It's compilation.
    It should be clear to the reader that the reporter was not in attendance. A tagline explaining "Bob Roberts reported from Xxxxxxx." Doing otherwise is dishonest. At the very least, misleading.
    This is not meant to be a put-down of PhilaYank. It's not. It's not his call. Management needs to understand that this practice is going on and that there should be a procedure for this type of material finding its way into the paper.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Just to clarify things, I write for a website and while everyone gets a byline, no one gets a date line.

8. What did the PR guy do about the no-hitter pool that was in progress in the press box? Those things start in the 4th.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb is if opposing pitcher has no hitter going after bottom of 5th I loudly announce that fact to him as he walks off mound to dugout. Just a friendly FYI in case he is not aware.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was tremendous to listen to. Thanks for posting.

11. timesup

timesup New Member

Give the dude a break. I can't speak for other papers that cover minor league teams, but the Commercial Appeal doesn't even staff the road games of its Triple-A team. Maybe a byline is questionable to some, but he did interview people.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's fine. It just need to be clear he didn't report from the game.
    That is the assumption when a byline appears.

PhilaYank36 reported from Nowhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted