1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-hitter etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, May 21, 2007.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Wow. To think I actually agree with you on something.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Damn, I'm getting my fuckin' balls broken big time on this one, aren't I? I talked to the players and I wrote the damn story. What should I have said instead. Unless you guys are a fresh pair of boxers, get off my ass!

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Did you do a byline and dateline?

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

You might as well be a blogger at home with a list of phone numbers...

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I'm in the same boat as Phila. So what you are all saying then is when the team is on the road that I don't actually cover them, even though they are my beat?

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

OK.

Baseball and its players and personnel are funny. You could have called and simply said "Could I please speak with starting pitcher Bob Smith after the game? Thanks."

That way, everyone - including you and the strange and superstitious - get what they want.

Did the PR guy go overboard? Yes.

Still, as dumb as it is, I just don't mention it because I don't want to deal with an idiot like you described.

As for calling a game. You always say "in the bottom half of the sixth, no runs, no hits, no errors and no one left on base. Back after the break."

Come back and say "Through six, the Yankees have no runs, no hits and haven't had a runner since A-Rod walked in the first. And the Sox lead 1-0."

There. Everyone with half a brain knows it's a no-no.

As for the "covering the game" part. Come on, you did what we all know as a "phoner" which should not include a byline.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Let the thread die. Don't post anything else, just let it sink to another page. Egad.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Like said, you did a phoner. I do them, but I don't put my byline on it.

We have to do them, as a service to the reader. A service they expect.

9. jps

jps Active Member

The Internet? I don't know, man ... in the gray there. Or is it grey? Pretty sure it's gray.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Byline, yes. Dateline, no. And I have gone to ballparks to cover games live, so I'm not some pathetic blogger, either. I've gone to some MLB parks to work on some features, but I had the good sense to get in early and do my interviews before the game or wait until everyone with deadlines have finished their interviews.

It's not my choice to be doing this online, hundreds/thousands of miles away. But when you're 25 and trying to break into this biz, you gotta do what you gotta do. Unless you know of a baseball beat opening up soon, I'll be where I am for at least one more season. Sorry to "offend" anyone.

11. paris trout

paris trout Member

Let the man have his no-hitter. Everybody knows it's all your fault.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

The jumping on PhilaYank about the byline/dateline thing is ridiculous, but regardless, the PR guy needs to get fucking laid and quick. First of all, pal, I'm from the NEWSPAPER, I'm not ON THE TEAM, so I don't GIVE A GOOD GOD DAMN ABOUT PRESERVING THE NO-HITTER. SECONDLY, I'll call you whenever I fucking need to because it's my job to call, and it's your job to answer. Get a fucking life.

Hoping Paris just doesn't know about/believe in the sarcasm font.

Draft saved Draft deleted