1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-Hitter alert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 18, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

They didn't even show highlights (of the last 3 batters) on ESPNNews until after the game ended. Bruce Levine of AM 1000 gave quasi-play-by-play by phone for the last two batters.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

At least you understand where flyover country ranks!!! :D :D :D

3. boots

boots New Member

When was the last time a guy threw a no-hitter against a guy who has a no-hitter to his credit?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Check that. 1999.

Jose Jimenez's no-hitter for the Cardinals on June 25 was thrown against Randy Johnson, who had thrown one in 1990 for the Mariners. (The Unit also threw another, slightly more efficient one on May 18, 2004.)

In 1993, Bob Milacki, who started the Orioles' four-man combined no-hitter two years earlier, was on the mound for the Indians when Jim Abbott no-hit them on Sept. 4.

5. boots

boots New Member

You can't count Jimenez' because Johnson hadn't thrown a no-hitter when they squared off. I'll give you the first reference. Good job.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes he had. I forgot about Unit's no-hitter in 1990. Check my edit.

7. boots

boots New Member

ok

8. pallister

pallister Guest

On the day Millwood threw his no-hitter, current Masters champion Zach Johnson was playing in a Nationwide tournament in Fort Smith, Ark. Top that. :)

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

ESPN reminds us far too often. ;)

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That game was when Eric Davis' career ended (as it turned out) on a diving catch in RF to save the no-no, IIRC.

11. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I haven't read too many accounts of the game, but I've yet to see this fact:

This isn't the first time Buehrle faced the minimum. He did it back in 2004 in a game against the Indians. It was a two-hit shutout... the Tribe followed up both hits by grounding into double plays.

Wonder how many pitchers have faced the minimum twice. Can't be too many.

12. boots

boots New Member

Time to renegotiate.

Draft saved Draft deleted