1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-Hitter Alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Pray for a Detroit rainout over the weekend. That would set up a Monday Tigers-Twins game of Verlander vs. Liriano. Right now Verlander is scheduled to start Sunday. How freaking awesome would that be?

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Getting wet just thinking about it.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ummm, so for some reason I can't find the definition, but does the pitcher get credit for the no-no if the game is rain-shortened?

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I just found it...never mind

"Perfect games and No-hitters:
    An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I am looking for a list of shortened no-hitters, which I cannot find on the internet. (The only one I can find quickly was Montreal's Pascual Perez vs. Philadelphia, 1988. Called by rain after five innings.)

These are not official no-hitters (hence, so hard to find). However, as soon as my sources provide me with a list, I'll post it here.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Apparently, since the rule went into effect requiring nine innings, they've gone and taken some out of the official records that were shortened.
    Some will now be listed but will have an astericks next to them showing them as non-official due to shortened game.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

joe beimel in for the dodgers as the game resumes in cin-city

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

first reds batter gets a hit

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight: Joe Fucking Bemeil is on the Dodgers?

No wonder they suck ass. I do not want Joe Bemeil on the Dodgers. This is why they are a laughingstock.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We love Joe Beimel long time.

11. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I went to this game tonight as a fan (not of either team, just wanted to check out the stadium).

I've never seen a major league no-no, and I had actual butterflies at the prospect of seeing Maddux get one. How cool would that have been? Wow.

Anyway, he walks out to the mound for the seventh inning and there's this HUGE crack of thunder that sends everyone scattering, followed by sheets of rain a few seconds later. I was just looking at the sky and saying, "NOOOO!!!!" I have to say, I was really, really disappointed. Nine more outs...argh.

And of course, I had to wait out the delay to see if he was going to come back out. Then I figured, "Well, I waited this long, why not see if they can get a combined no-no."

First batter, as someone else said, gets the hit, and I get to leave. Oh well.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Joe Beimel was discarded by the Pirates for heaven's sake.

Draft saved Draft deleted