1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No-hitter alert: Jon Lester

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, May 19, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He wrote on his blog he was going to Boston, so I suspect we'll get some incredible prose from Joe Posnanski tomorrow.

2. The Mets can have Johan Santana.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's amazing.

While watching the ninth, I was thinking there isn't a better catcher for a young pitcher to work with than Varitek.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

No, night game, or at least a late afternoon start. And I was very young, so I may have had an early bedtime. I'm positive it was dark when Gibson hit the homer.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I chatted with Lester (and Kevin Youkilis) for a bit outside of a bar a few blocks from Fenway last year. He seemed like a chill guy with a goofy, outgoing personality. Good for him...he came up enormous during the playoffs but had been pretty mediocre before tonight, besides one fantastic outing against Toronto. He has dynamic stuff on occasion, but throws way too many pitches and typically really labors just to get past the fifth or sixth. Good sign for the Sox tonight.

6. How funny would it be if Lester revealed he wore a golden thong for this game?

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The NESN feed only showed three for Schalk, but I'll certainly take your word for it buck.

At any rate, I'm just happy as hell for the kid after what he's been through.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never mind. I know what happened. Baseball no longer recognizes one of Schalk's caught no-hitters -- by Jim "Death Valley" Scott, a.k.a. Buck Weaver's brother-in-law, who lost his with two outs in the 10th in 1914 -- when they changed the rules back in 1991. That's why it's on his HOF plaque.

[​IMG]

Johnny Grabowski caught Lyons' no-hitter, not Schalk.

So Varitek does have the record now. Couldn't have happened to a better Yellow Jacket. :D

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Somewhere, Oz and kingcreole just kicked one of their animals.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Good Lord.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's cool. Good story, and the guy deserved it.

Feel bad for my brother in law. He's going to be at the game tomorrow, by himself, proudly wearing his Royals hat and shirt. I warned him that he's going to get harrassed, and now it's going to be 10 times worse.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ask the Florida Marlins.

Draft saved Draft deleted