1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Free Speech at Schools?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Journo13, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Journo13

Journo13 Member

This came from a station's website. Why do I feel the superintendent deserves to be called out on this one? As if her situation wasn't bad enough, she's called out in front of the school.

"The district superintendent, his assistant, and the school principal called her outside and demanded that she cheer for the star athlete. Either that, or go home. Fans, meanwhile, sat in the bleachers and mocked the crying girl."

http://www.39online.com/entertainment/onlinedish/kiah-online-dish-cheerleader-rapist-story,0,5105337.story

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The lack of human decency in that school administration is astounding.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, but if you do not want to Pledge due to non religious reasons, it is your right as I see it. It would be a battle not worth fighting, though, for a school division.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Shit like this makes me hate high school sports.

Purity my ass.

5. 93Devil

Nothing is shocking when it comes to southern schools.

6. Dick Whitman

Hmmmmm ... what if a student did not want to participate in class? Can you dock him a grade for that? Or is that an infringement of free speech rights?

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I'm just saying that ... this all seems to be a mess and none of it seems to be able to be reconcilable with some other rule that is in conflict with it.

7. Journo13

Journo13 Member

Let me clarify something. The school principal involved in this was the former one, Gaye Lokey.
    The current principal is Eldon Franco. Lokey resigned from the position earlier this year.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, if the school's entire identity is wrapped up in their sports teams, they gotta have wins any way they can. Even if they have to have rapists play for them.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That would be awesome.

10. Dick Whitman

Hey, and I quote: "I still argue against any infringement upon Freedom of Speech, even if it occurs within a school."

11. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I'll bite the bullet if you insist on it. I was wrong. Congrats.

12. 93Devil

You are right. It is a mess, but you don't throw gas on it.

If a student decides to sleep in class and the parents are cool with it, then you are at a loss as a school system. The teacher should do their best so that student is motivated, but you can only go so far.

If the student yells and disrupts rather than sleep, then you remove them from the class. Free speech or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted