1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no four-leaf clovers on St. Patrick's Day, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Real Irishmen celebrate their birthright 365 days a year, with or without (green) suds.

2. The whiskey is still brown, praised be Jesus.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My fondest memories of Ireland - singing in the pub while drinking Jamesons and Guiness.

4. Damn.
    And I missed it.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Ah, 'twas great fun. A table full of opera singers on a night off sitting next to the table with the house band - accordian, fiddle, guitar and spoons. An absolutely unforgettable evening.

6. I'm sure the Nessun O'Dorma got a workout.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Colbert had a funny bit about the NYC pub banning the signing of Danny Boy.
    If I was savvier with the youtube, I'd post a link, but I'm not and I didn't.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ah, one of these years, I'll be able to visit the ancestral homeland.

9. Great-Grand-da 'Beat poignantly awaits the end of the diaspora.

[​IMG]

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I can't wait for the day when I have the time and money to go visit the old sod. Some of my older relatives visited one of the old family homes in County Sligo, which unfortunately is not owned by relatives anymore. Rumor has it having been sold to a member of the IRA as a safehouse. :D

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As a non-Irishman, the most I've ever done for the holiday is make sure to break out the green at my last paper, in honor of our SE.

And as one of French descent, I can say that Mardi Gras kicks St. Patrick's Day's ass, especially if your on the Gulf Coast to do it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted