1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No Easy Day"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm 47 percent through. Not overwhelmed. Plus, I think the bad guy dies at the end.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That seems trite.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am about finished. Good read, similar to Lone Survivor but enjoyed LS more. Could not help but think as I read that the mission was really a political assassination.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. turski7

turski7 Member

Just finished. Blazed through it in 3 days. I liked the detail of the mission, but the uproar over "secrets" is blown out of proportion. Not the greatest book ever written, but when he got the actual training and actual mission I was captivated.
    Laughed at the Staff of Power and Just for Men. Great stuf there. I also liked the stories about "Owen's" duties and missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

oh dear

should we be concerned?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That general concept would actually make a pretty good conspiracy theory. If e-readers become the dominant form of book delivery, is it possible for governments or organizations to delete books, or even individual passages, they don't like?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's scary. I hope it's not true.

10. turski7

turski7 Member

I can see that happening. Too much for these people to lose if something comes out.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Either that or just have Michael Lewis write all the books. Government's dream.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Finished it this morning. The first half of it was like any other book written by a Navy SEAL. The last half dealt with the OBL stuff. Riveting stuff. The author claims there's no politics in the book, but there are a few shots here and there. Not enough to bog it down or anything, though. Just quick shots.

I love some of the detail, like how one of the guys had to sit on OBL's body during exfil because of all the people crammed into the helicpoter. And how, when they were taking pictures of the body, the author was like, "Hey, man. Hold open his good eye."

And the story of how they got his son, or cousin, or whoever it was. The point man going up the stairs saw him peek around from inside the door, then quickly duck back in. He spoke Arabic, so he whispered his name. Like a dumbass, the guy peeked around the corner again. BOOM! DEAD!

Oh, and apparently Ambien works very well.

Draft saved Draft deleted