1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Dollars . Pay Me Euros, or anything else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 5, 2007.

1. cortez

cortez Member

Until Neil Cavuto says the U.S. dollar is in trouble, I just won't believe it

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

There was an amusing editorial in the Wall Street Journal about this today....

Ben Bernanke is a married man. But if he weren't, there's at least one woman who wouldn't want anything to do with the Federal Reserve Chairman's policy charms: Gisele Bundchen. The Brazilian supermodel is reportedly now insisting that she be paid in a currency other than the U.S. dollar.

"Contracts starting now are more attractive in euros because we don't know what will happen to the dollar," the model's twin sister and manager in Brazil, Patricia Bundchen, told Bloomberg recently. The ubiquitous runway diva even demanded payment in euros when she signed a contract in August to promote Pantene hair products for Procter & Gamble Co., according to a Brazil magazine. Think about that one: She's willing to sell a U.S. product, but she won't accept payment in U.S. currency.

It's one thing to be rejected by Warren Buffett, who's been predicting the dollar's demotion for years. But it's an ominous sign when dollar weakness becomes ingrained enough in the popular mind for the currency to be spurned by runway models. At least Gisele hasn't yet declared that she prefers the Canadian loonie, which would really be humiliating. That's like being dumped by your date for the PC geek in those Apple Macintosh ads.

This is what happens when the Fed and U.S. Treasury give the impression that the dollar's decline is no big deal, and that a little devaluation might even be useful. Nations start to de-peg from the dollar standard, and people around the world start to dump the greenback. We hope the Fed shapes up before Tom Brady, the New England Patriot quarterback and Gisele's boyfriend, starts demanding that he be paid in euros just to keep up.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What we really need to know is: what kind of shoes? :)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Very funny except fot the Canada Bashing Part. :)

And we may be a nation of beer swilling hosers but we're definitely not geeks.

Take it up with Grapes.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Enzo Angelioni's ... they're a division of Nine West.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The one thing that jumped out at me in this whole story is that Giselle Bundchen has a twin.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

PTI used to run a photo of Giselle with a couple of her sisters...lemme tell you, they're all in pretty much the same league.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, yuk it up about this.

Clowns.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, it really depends on where you eat and where you go. The Great Wall trip will definitely cost more than when I went, but that is because of the Olympics. There is a great restaurant about two blocks away from Tienmien Square which probably won't have much higher prices (a good soup which looks like a whole pot for only $1).

I expect shit to be jacked up just based on the context. However, if you know where to go, things won't cost nearly as much as they do here.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Which brings us to an interesting question ... how many major media outlets will cut coverage of the Olympics, given the value of the American dollar and associated costs with sending staff to Beijing?

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Hey, thanks for the info. You've family over there, right? I may be hitting you up for some info, if that's ok.

Draft saved Draft deleted