1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No dear, I don't want to throw that away...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jan 16, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So we are in the process of moving and my wife is trying to convince me to trash anything that isn't nailed together or it's something we wear or eat with, apparently.
    I have a few boxes of old music charts (when I worked in radio) mixed with old music mags and my newspaper clippings from college and old jobs along with some old posters, pics and other "memento" stuff.
    She wants it gone. I'm not going to let it happen.
    Yes, I don't look at these papers day-in and day-out, but I'd like to hang on to this stuff til the day I die. Is that wrong?
    Am I a pack rat? Maybe a little. But I don't over do it and it's all neatly tucked away in a few boxes that hang out in the garage.
    Are they heavy and will they take up space in the moving truck? Sure. So what.
    How many figurines and shoes does she really need versus how many she has? I don't mind.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you my dad?

Because there hasn't been room for a car in my parents' garage since 1989.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Do you want to throw that away?" is code for "I need more room for my shoes."

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It's hard-wired in the female DNA. They need to throw away crap so they can go spend more money on new crap. Which they will throw away when the DNA devil taps them on the shoulder again in a month or so. Ad infinitum.

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I always bring up her gravy boat.

Once a year is all its used. Once. As long as I look at/use my crap that much, it's justified.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

We are in the process of going through a lot of our stuff. And no, my wife isn't looking for more room for her shoes. Honestly. They all fit in the living room closet.
    I've been tossing clips and old notebooks I really don't need or care about. Clips from the 8th grade volleyball team I covered? Nope, don't need that. Stories that I liked or have special meaning I am keeping. Similar with reporter notebooks. Do I really need notebooks from my first year in the biz in 1999? I'm basically keeping notebooks from events that were important to me (Indy 500, etc.) and ditching the rest. However, I am keeping press passes/event credentials.
    Going through a ton of stuff this weekend, I've realized how fortunate I've been to cover so many things and so many events I never thought I'd be able to. I realized if I make a career change, I've accomplished a lot and won't have regrets.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I found my press passes as well, man I've lost weight since the 2004 NBA postseason!
    For an update...after going through 3 boxes and a small tote, I got it all down to one large tote. So, I guess we both win.
    So does anyone want to buy an unworn Toronto Raptors hat (one size fits all strap on back), a slightly used Montreal Expos hat (size 7 1/4) or a brand new Red Sox hat (size 7)? Perhaps a stack of zip drive discs labeled "blank" or maybe a 1997 Washington Caps gameday program with Kelly Miller on the cover?
    In other words...I did have some crap in there, but I kept the good stuff.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've moved three times in the last 48 months. I was a military brat growing up. Wish I didn't think component audio and video was the way to go, and I have a handful of sports jerseys (for those of you who haven't been to the outings).

But, otherwise, I've made a point not to accumulate more and more stuff. Some others whom I've helped are finally starting to see the light. Finally.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've moved 10 times in the last 10 1/2 years. The one good thing is that it means there is an annual purge. But I do have some mementos from the business as well as my childhood. Luckily I've been able to keep my childhood stuff (my hockey cards, a security blanket and a stuffed animal) at my parents without them tossing it. Nothing wrong with holding onto such things as long as it is under control. It is good to be able to remember where you've been and what you've gone through.

It's weired, we were actually talking about this at work on Thursday night.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I have a large box worth of memories and things I won't part with. Compared to some others, though, it's under control.

This wasn't an episode of "Hoarders" by a long shot. But it was excessive.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Now that I have a house, the general rule is if it's not on display, why keep it? I used that rule to dump most of my old trading cards, keeping only a few dozen which I found a display case for.

After that I have one box of stuff I should hang, like diplomas and degrees, but haven't yet due to laziness.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I started a new job five months ago, several states away from my family. I packed up what I could in the car and left. For a while I said "I miss all my stuff."

Then the family arrived in our new house. Big moving truck followed. Now, outside the wife and child of course, I miss my one-carload life. My wife and I agree that we're going to have a monstrous yard sale and live with far, far less. About the only untouchable are the boxes and boxes of newspapers and magazines (we're both journos), but the excess furniture, kitchen doodads, clothing, etc., has gotta go.

Draft saved Draft deleted