1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No Country for Old Men" ending (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bite me, party boy.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

At least with The Sopranos, you knew by the clock on your wall that you were watching the ending, however it was going to play out. With this, you're sitting in a theater watching a movie that could end now ... or now ... or 15 minutes from now ... and suddenly it cuts to the black-and-credits. Needed a freaking rewind button bad.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Represents nothing? We must have watched different movies, because that ending reperesented everything to me.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mrs. petty and i watched it late at night. she fell asleep because she had to work the next day, so i watched the second half by myself.

the ending took place, and i actually said out loud "you have to be fucking kidding me." i watched the ending two more times.

yeah, i get what he was saying, but it was trivial as hell.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more. It might not have needed a nice, shiny bow, but whatever the hell it gave us was not enough. I've never been more frustrated by the end of a movie.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Read the book and get back to me.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I understand that argument, I really do. But I didn't read the book, and neither did most viewers, I'd imagine. So I'm left frustrated.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, chick. i chose to watch the movie, not read the book. i also chose to leave my thoughts about the ending of the movie, not the book.

how does the ending of the book matter in this instance?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I lost interest after the scene in which Anton walked out of the wife's house and checked his shoes for blood. I consider that the end of the movie.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Because the screenwriter chose to stay true to the book and not pander to people who have short attention spans and refuse to read?

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I don't refuse to read. I just haven't read the book yet. I might. I might not. That makes no bearing. A movie is a movie, and a book is a book. What reads well doesn't necessarily watch well (Re: Robert Langdon/Tom Hanks)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ. so you're fucking better than i because you chose to read that specific book? fuck that.

and how in the fuck do you factor in short attention spans? the fucking ending sucked. the writer short-legged the ending to the fucking book. cocksucker needed an editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted