1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Country for Old Men -- 7/8ths of a great movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Which might explain how the movie title seems a shade clunky.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I read that story too, Jones. It sounds a little fishy to me -- how could they get far enough along in the process of casting a major motion picture, all the wy until rehearsals, with no one noticing they had the wrong guy?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I doubt the Coens would offer the lead role in their biggest film in years to a prime-time soap actor whose best film credit in the last three decades was a cameo in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure."

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Josh Brolin, meanwhile, has had an excellent past couple years.

How old is the character in the book?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

No more than 30, I'd say. I know his wife was pretty young.

When I read that in Esquire, I assumed it was some kind of joke.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

One other line didn't sound 1980: the green hair and piercing reference in the conversation between the two old sheriffs.

YD&OHS, etc

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

8. friend of the friendless

Dr.,

See the dedication to Emma.

YD&OHS, etc

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

By 1980, the punk movement could have trickled into west Texas. ...

What year does the book take place? I also think that Esquire story sounds a bit like an urban legend. 1980 makes a lot of sense in the book because if it took place today, I can't imagine they'd be able to have those border scenes: the lax security guys, the throwing of the briefcase over the fence with no one noticing, etc. Also, if it took place today, the whole manhunt would be treated differently. Everyone in the country would know this guy. Helicopters would be flying over the crime scene. This wouldn't happen quietly.

10. friend of the friendless

Mr Kato,

Mohawk, maybe. Green hair, too early. Not that long after the Sex Pistols failed to get traction in the sunbelt.

YD&OHS, etc

11. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

ATMs were in Arkansas in the late '70s. Texas was big ATM country at the time. But the magnetic strips were alwas getting screwed up if you a leather wallet or some other exotic skin.

Which gave rise to the film's original title: No Country for Alligator Wallets.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The ending was perfect. Like an antidote. Much like the end of Magnolia, thematically.

Draft saved Draft deleted