1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No circle of hell would be deep enough for this woman.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'd just like to know why nobody's rescued that guy in the sinkhole yet.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wrong concern thread

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given that she's 87 years old you have to wonder if she could have safely been given CPR to begin with. The chest compressions could have resulted in broken ribs.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I am in full agreement with imjustagirl and Smash Williams on the separate points. You get what you pay for. Blaming the woman seems useless. She probably isn't thrilled about the situation as is.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

If there was a DNR, why did the nurse call 911?

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Reports I read was that she had a DNR. If true, this isn't really an issue.

7. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

If the nurses don't give emergency care, then they don't. Could it be as simple as protecting their job? Perhaps. But it's probably more connected to lawsuits ... easy to imagine any living facility could be sued out of existence if they get sued every time a resident dies. So, you have a blanket rule that says you just don't do a certain thing.
    Was the nurse a heartless bitch who didn't care? Or is she going to need therapy because of what happened? The story doesn't give insight into her mindset.
    Sorry, just can't get overly excited about this.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The difference here is that the 9-1-1 dispatcher was doing everything she could to help a person who needed help.

The nurse was doing everything she could to follow company protocol.

Which person would you rather have on your side?

And if the woman truly had a DNR, the policy should be that they don't call 9-1-1 and let the person go.

9. Still need to get the police over, right?

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Policy or not, it would take a pretty sorry individual to simply stand by and watch an old lady die.

11. Depends on the condition of her beforehand. You can be compassionate in not saving every life, especially someone who has lived a full life and may be suffering. It wouldn't be easy to stand by.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The nurse did not sound compassionate.

Draft saved Draft deleted