1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Carter thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, May 21, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps I could have been more clear, but I meant Mr. Bush seems to be uninterested in diplomacy. So when his handlers and co-defendants complain about someone being undiplomatic toward him, it's ironic.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian, what is this blackmail of which you speak with Reagan? Iran/Contra?

3. Hyperbole.
    he unfroze the assets and got the hostages back. The Iranians kept them on the runway to screw Carter. (There is also no little evidence that Casey and the Reagan campaign dicked around with the Iranians to delay the release.) It think Iran-Contra was a dumbass criminal scheme on its own, but I can be convinced otherwise.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There also used to be protocol regarding . . .

--- Reasons a nation goes to war. But Bush kind of threw that out the window.

--- Criticizing decorated war veterans. But the way Bush and his henchmen treated McCain, Cleland, Kerry, Murtha, among others, kind of threw that out the window.

What Jimmy Carter basically said was the equivalent of "the sky is blue," a statement obvious to everyone who isn't wearing a blindfold.

5. Let's not even get into all the protocols -- like redistricting every 10 years -- that the DeLay Congress threw down and danced upon.

6. statrat

statrat Member

I'm not exactly fan of Bush, but if Jimmy Carter wants to talk about failed administrations he simply needs to hold up a mirror. Bush will likely be providing him company near the top of the list for miserable presidential failures when all is said and done.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. Someone break out the history books and remind us how great a president Carter was. I will grant you that he did more for improving Egypt-Israeli relations, but how high were interest rates? Inflation?? Unemployment???

Carry on.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could also make the case, I guess, that Jimmy Carter is an expert on failed presidencies.

The old, W sucks, but Jimmy sucked, too, defense must be very comforting to the Shrub family.

I assume W also will do a lot of good for humanity once he is an ex-president, too.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So now we have the man, widely regarded by many historians as one of the five worst presidents in American history, calling out the current administration?

If Jimmy Carter is talking like an authority on administrations that are disasters it is only because he has first-hand knowledge of them.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Please remind me: How many other nations did Carter invade and occupy? How many wars did he start?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Got a list, zag? 'Cause I haven't seen him among the bottom five.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Come on, zag. Bush isn't in the bottom 5 and neither is Carter. Bottom 10, I might grant you.

Draft saved Draft deleted