1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Carter thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, May 21, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What I meant.

No one suggested that he is not permitted to speak his mind or should be prosecuted for it. I assume that the criticism of the WH for responding didn't mean to do that either, or to otherwise infringe on their first amendment rights. Protocol means unwritten, unenforced rules of etiquitte. That is where this entire discussion is taking place, so enough of this 1st amendment martyrdom nonsense.

Ironically true & relevant, & has been for 25 years.

2. Guy_Incognito

I'll take that bet.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Gerald Ford's criticism became known only when he died. I'm glad Carter decided to speak up now.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm sure you and the rest of the 27 percent who approve of the way the Bush administration would feel that way. There are still people who defend Hitler, too.

5. Guy_Incognito

As a matter of fact, I'm in the majority of those who disapprove, though I'm guessing we have different reasons.

I don't remember you as being a jerk, does he just bring out the worst in you, or was I not paying attention?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Uh, oh, here comes the Hitler talk...

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think it's good that Carter is speaking his mind, etiquette and protocol be damned. This current administration has done a good job in making people think that if they're criticizing the prez, they're anti-American, as some of you have pointed out. As Tony Soprano said last night, "Let's stop ignoring the fuckin' 500-lbs elephant in the room.' (Hilariously under-rated line in this last episode) Bush and his band of liars and theives have been the worst people to run this country in the last 100+ years.

I'm too young to remember Carter's presidency, but since he lasted only one term, I'm guessing it wasn't too grand. But the work he has done since then is beyond remarkable. If any ex-prez should be allowed to publicly criticize Gee-Dumb, it should be Carter.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hitler was good when he came into power, he just got a little carried away. [/margeschott]

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, see, the Hitler talk is all wrong for W. When has he ever been good?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, George W. Bush brings out the very worst in me. I consider him (along with Cheney, Wolfowitz and the rest of the architects of this national disgrace) a war criminal responsible for the needless deaths of thousands of innocent people. I also consider the so-called neo-conservatives the biggest cowards in the history of our country, so fearful of what might happen that they create lies to start preemptive wars and repeatedly take steps to curtail the freedoms upon which our country was built.

I also disapprove of his not-so-conservative fiscal policy, too. Maybe that's where we agree?

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Here's why it's a smart move by Snow/Bush in the never ending battle of spin.

Carter is a name which leads to a knee jerk negative reaction by many (probably most) Republicans, even those who have deserted W. So any criticism of Carter will be looked on positively by these people.

12. Excuse me?
    Camp David accords?
    Help to the Afghans? (Blowback on that one, alas.)
    And he froze the Iranian assets when the embassy fell. It was Reagan who gave into the blackmail.
    Carter was a lot of bad things, but his diplomacy wasn't one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted