1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Carter thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, May 21, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Surprised to not see a thread on James Tiberius Carter's weekend comments on the Bush admin.
    For those who missed it: http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/20/carter.bush.ap/index.html

... and I've got to note, the White House's response irks me. "Increasingly irrelevant?"
    When you're in power and you're talking about an elder statesman, you take a pass on that question. "He's entitled to his opinion, but we disagree" or "We respect his opinion, blah, blah, blah..." That's the way to sidestep that question, not get into a playground battle of words and belittle a man who was a so-so president but a much better man since leaving office and -- by the way -- a Noble Peace Prize winner as little as five years ago.

Thoughts?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tony Snow shows how Bush league he is.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The White House believes Carter's so irrelevant that it needed to trash the former president and Nobel Peace Prize winner immediately. Good for Jimmy calling out the cowards.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're wrong. Protocol is for ex-presidents to keep their mouths shut about current administrations. Bush took the high road for a heck of a long time, until it became clear that Carter, like a 5 year old, was going to keep raising the stakes until he got a reaction. He got one, an accurate one in my opinion, and then he started backtracking.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Protocol isn't that ex-prezes keep their mouths shut - its that they don't trash the current occupier of the Oval Office. They can say what a great job the prez is doing all they want. And even though I've got a friend who works at the paper - if you're going to take on Bush, do it in an editorial in the NYT or the WashPost.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the rove administration has done a masterful job of selling the public on the concept that to criticize the president (or the war) is tantamount to treason.

this notion was laughable - not to mention obviously very, very wrong - until september 11, 2001.

but now it's accepted by the general public as true. it's seen as fact, thanks to the spin machine.

this, after the loss of life in iraq and everything that suffered due to the money being spent in iraq, will be the most drastic lasting consequences of this administration. 10 years from now who's to say that it won't be an actual crime to criticize the president.

(i know this doesn't particularly relate to carter's comments but it's the general lack of comprehension that THIS IS A DEMOCRACY WHICH MEANS CRITICISM IS PERMISSIBLE that i'm speaking to).

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spoken like a true terrorist. Just kidding. Part of me thinks Karl Rove is a Democratic "Yuri" sent to infiltrate a Republican administration and bring about the demise of the GOP with a series of decisions meant to inflict long-term damage on the party.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, the protocol is to use your first amendment rights as you see fit. If that's being a 5-year-old (and I well know your feelings on Carter), that's not an accurate view of the first amendment.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The truth is a powerful defense.

Somewhere, Andrew Johnson is smiling, realizing that he won't be at the bottom of the lists of worst presidents much longer.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Carter's comments were not the best, and certainly he should have been much more diplomatic about his criticism of the Bush Administration. A sitting president should never been publicly sniped by an ex-president, and that's a poor reflection on Carter.

That being said, the "increasingly irrelevant" comment was in equally poor taste and shows a real unprofessionalism.

There's no winners in this one, folks.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironic that one of the worst diplomats we've ever had in the White House would whine about someone else being undiplomatic, though.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I believe that years from now people will be wondering why prominent and influential Americans didn't do more to stop a runaway Bush administration. Jimmy (the Fay Vincent of politics?) won't be considered one of those leaders who failed us.

Draft saved Draft deleted