1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No blood photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DGRollins, Aug 14, 2007.

1. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

I received acknowledgment of a photo accreditation request today that requested that we not use flash (fine) and that we not take "blood photos." It's a fighting event.

I likely wouldn't run a gore pic, but I gotta say....I don't like being told what I can and can't take a picture of. Am I overreacting? Is this a common request?

I'm likely just going to shoot like I always do and figure out whether to ignore this request when I get back to the lightroom.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Publish one for spite. That'll show 'em.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Did you sign something saying you wouldn't do it? If it's on your photo pass, and you didn't sign that you'd abide by that, then the hell with them.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Generalizing this, how many times do you get coaches, etc. who say, "now this is what you should write"?
    Or, when you pose a question, say something like "that's not what you should write about."

I get this with youth hockey coaches, and it really ticks me off. I do not like someone telling me what the story was, and I really, really don't like being told not to do something (like write about a kid's stupid penalty which allowed a PPG or a brawl or something like that).

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's just another example of a someone trying to control the messages and images.

If the NCAA asked sideline photographers to agree not to shoot any injured players or coaches arguing with officials, the photogs would go apeshit.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did a story on a quasi-local pugilist, left, and got this sparring session shot.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I believe bloody photos have no news value.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's what the guy looked like after jumping off the barbed wire fence three times.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, it's not fine. Unless the ring is lit like a TV stage, unless you use flash (or strobes), you'll get dark, blurry and/or out-of-focus pictures.

You wanna be in the paper? We're using flash. Can't use flash? I guess you don't wanna be in the paper.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ignore.

I'll never forget when I was overseas that the Pacific Stars & Stripes ran a photo of Duk-Koo Kim, his face bloodied and obviously unconscious after being knocked out by Ray Mancini.

It made it easier to understand how Kim died days later ... photo told the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted