1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No APSE thread?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Screw ping pong. Organize a beer pong tournament - 10 a.m. starts! Daily winners to be profiled by Rick Reilly!! :D

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

WS, that is an incredibly insensitive attitude.

Nice work - you're management material for sure!!! :D

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Were they not going to give you the award when you left? And if not, WTF?

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If you think attendance is low this year, wait until next year, when the summer convention is scheduled for remote Salt Lake City (remote to a lot of people, anyway).

5. Sorry, Ryan, I probably didn't write that the best way. I wasn't meaning anything about physically taking the award with me when I left, as if I had to steal it or that it was something they would actually keep from me. That was never an issue. What I meant is that by winning the award I was able to say eff-you to upper management on my way out the door. They go crazy over awards and I enjoyed the opportunity to point out what they were losing when I walked out. That's what I "took" from getting an APSE this year.

Mediator, I misinterpreted your tone in your original post -- sorry about that. I know exactly where you're coming from now. It's the same place I was about a year ago. But eventually I came to terms with my career ending months before it actually did. My wife compared it with going through a grieving process. Eventually you get to acceptance, though it takes quite a while to get there.

So my attitude about winning any awards was twofold: to leave on a high note and to stick it to upper management. Mission accomplished on both parts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You shoulda gone to one, Moddy.

7. JackReacher

This is going to sound asshole-ish no matter what. Not meant to be, but whatever...

How exactly did you "stick it to upper management" by winning an APSE?

And did you really say something along the lines of, "You're kicking out an APSE winner. Your loss!" when you left?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ryan: He's finding satisfaction in the fact that the paper that thought he was expendable is losing somebody who apparently had the goods to be judged one of the best in the nation by a group of his peers. Even if corporate these days shows a complete lack of appreciate of such things, I'd feel exactly the same way. It's not complicated.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Echoing SFX, I felt the same amount of internal pride when APSEs were announced a couple weeks after I left my old joint -- with "us" picking up a boatload more. Was even happier that said old joint didn't do nearly as well this year. :)

Gotta take the good moments when they come, I guess.

rb

10. JackReacher

Fair enough, but I'm still curious if he mentioned the APSE award on the way out the door.

11. Exactly, SF. Except I wouldn't have used "apparently." ;D

Ryan, now you are seeming like an asshole to me. Why are you so curious about this? But if you must know, no, I did not actually mention it on my way out the door. I didn't have to say anything.

12. JackReacher

"They go crazy over awards and I enjoyed the opportunity to point out what they were losing when I walked out. "

That comment made it sound like you said something about it on your way out.

And I couldn't care less what you said or didn't say on your way out. I'm only mildly curious, because if you did mention that they were losing an APSE winner as you left, well, that's just funny.

Congrats on the award, by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted