1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No APSE thread?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. WS

WS Member

our sports editor was going to go and take his family and pay for hotel, but the company wouldn't pay for his flight.

Which doesn't bother me because we've got a huge junior golf tournament going on this week, and he's the one covering it in 100-degree heat, not me.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In Vegas and StL, there were easily at least 200. Banquet room in MGM in 2006(?) was packed.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If 200 is the line, yeah, this year's number is staggering.

My old place just installed a ping-pong table to raise morale and relieve stress. Paid for out of pocket by company brass and not out of company funds. So they won't be traveling to things like APSE or Virginia in the College World Series. But they can play ping-pong.

4. WS

WS Member

We're having an employee appreciation lunch at my 32K MG daily next week. Food for the day and night shift, so a lunch and dinner. Nowhere to put a ping pong table, though.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Approves of this idea ...

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

200 in St. Louis or Vegas is a very high estimate for registered members. (Maybe more people went to banquet, including student interns, non-registered spouses, etc.) APSE Bulletin story says the all-time high was 220 in Boston quite a while ago. Minneapolis last year had 112.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm not sure that the company higher-ups should be paying for travel out of their own pockets if it's business related. In fact, given that they bought a ping-pong table for the staff - I'd take that as a kind gesture.

8. There are at least two people from my state there, as both high level bosses from my paper are currently in the steel city

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I freely admit my guesstimating skills are lacking.

But I do know the banquet rooms were huge in Vegas and pretty full, especially that one for the MMA discussion. And we probably had more people in the "Meet with AP's Terry Taylor" session than total people in Pittsburgh.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The ping pong table is a nice gesture I guess, but who in the hell has time to play?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Somebody in authority probably recalled reading about how the tech companies, back in the dot.com heyday, used to have stuff like that. Games for employees, a loosey-goosey atmosphere.

Probably messed up in assessing the cause-and-effect direction, though.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just checked the schedule. Attendance is low because the Pirates are home.

Draft saved Draft deleted