1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No APSE thread?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Starts today in Pittsburgh.

Should we start a pool on the number of people attending? What's the O/U? 500? 250? 100?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

2 1/2 hours in ... and crickets

guess that's your answer

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think only 51 people are scheduled to attend. Can't imagine it's gonna be much fun.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

Lets say you win three APSEs and your paper gets the triple crown. Doesn't mean you avoid bankruptcy or avoid that pink slip. And are those awards going to help you get another job? Uhhh...

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I imagine it's going to be pretty somber.

6. Maybe not. But I took my APSE award as a nice going-away present when I got laid off in April. It was my eff you to the paper. Although the award may not get me another job in journalism, I've impressed more than one hiring manager outside journalism with my honors. That hasn't led to a job yet, but the awards are getting noticed -- and that's pretty important in this environment. Anything to set yourself apart helps.

So go rain on somebody else's parade today, would you? ;)

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt it, wow...

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i stand corrected. on the APSE site it said 48 people are registered to attend. the lowest numbers in history. Not even one person per state.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I would guess most of them are paying their own way. It's highly doubtful many papers would waste the money at this point.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

48!?! We had seminars with that many people in the past.

I wonder how many are from papers within driving distance of Pittsburgh? Half?

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

There were twice as many registered at another media group convention this year. That's just such a sad number. (Raining, again).

Billy, I am proud of my own APSEs, and I don't mean to diminish your award. I just fear they will become a memorial to my former career long before I'm ready.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In my brief reign of terror as an SE, I didn't go. I recall my SE going a couple of times, once when it was in Richmond (he didn't have much choice then). What's normal attendance? How many showed up in the high-flying 90s, when we all had some money and the good times were expected to last forever?

48 does seem terribly low but not if 70 is the norm. If 270 is the norm, then WOW.

Draft saved Draft deleted